Random, sudden, and severe inner ankle pain?

Posted , 16 users are following.

This started about two weeks ago.

My right ankle has been experiencing random bouts of very severe inner ankle pain when attempting to walk. It comes on suddenly. The pain disappears completely as long as I keep the weight off of it, and I'm able to walk again after a few minutes of rest.

This same ankle 'cracks' painlessly when rotating it and also used to 'lock up' when walking. I've been to doctors before who said they think it's nothing; I'll guess my age had something to do with it since I'm only 29 and most doctors like to say "but you are too young for pain!".

There is no redness, swelling, or tenderness. It's really the strangest thing, but entirely debilitating. I spent five minutes crying, trying to cross the street, collapsing as I went, and ticking off a driver that didn't wait patiently for me. I'm afraid that's going to happen again.

I'm going to the doctor on Monday, but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this? I'd rather not be told I'm 'too young!" to experience this.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like a bone spur to me.   I’ve had several and the pain you describe sounds just like what I experienced.
  • Posted

I've sort of had the same. Mine is OK when I've footwear on, but I get sharp pain (only now and then) when I walk without footwear. It's been happening for a few weeks now. I don't like going to the GP for minor stuff but yeah, it's starting to worry a little.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.