Random twitching on different parts of body. No cramping or pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone. I have an issue I am hoping to get some info or advice on. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I started getting strong twitches when I would lay down to go to sleep. They were the real strong all body ones that jerk you back awake. At first I thought they were just normal hypnagogic jerks. I was taking Lexapro for a couple weeks and thought it was that causing it. The Lexapro did have other symptoms that I didnt like so I stopped it after talking to my doctor. I was only on it about 2 weeks. Anyway I thought that the twitching would stop after the Lexapro was out of my system. Well I no longer think that had anything to do with it because they are still happening after being off of the Lexapro for 17 days now.

The twitching is not just when I lay down anymore. Its basically every few minutes on all different parts of the body one at a time. They are very quick, painless, and happen on all different muscles. Best described as a "tic" I guess. Anyway I do also have some back of the neck stiffness and after talking to Dr. Google I found that this might just be a magnesium deficiency. Both of these symptoms are linked to that. Today I went out and bought some supplements and bananas. But even before this I was eating at least one banana a day. 

Anyway I am just trying to get some ideas as to what this might be? How long should I wait before possibly seeing a neurologist? 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello. I just wanted to add some more info. The twitching seems like it has been more rare today while awake and alert, but the strange thing is that when I am watching TV and just start to close my eyes I instantly twitch. Within less than a second of my eyes closing it happens. It is so strange. Its not as if I am falling asleep when it happens, its just as I relax a bit and my eyes close. Anyway I just thought I would add that. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.