Random word generator

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone else find themselves using random words instead of the right ones? For example, in class today I told the children there was too much nose instead of noise. I know straight away that it's the wrong word that's come out.. at least I think I do. Sometimes it happens 3 or 4 times in a day and sometimes I'm fine.

Is this peri or should I be more worried?

I don't think I'm overly stressed but probably am a little sleep deprived and am definitely in peri.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You made me think of a character in an old tv programme, Nearest and Dearest. (  UK. )  Nellie Pledge was always coming out with the wrong word with much hilarity. I do it sometimes but my mum more often. I must admit I giggle with my sisters when she does it. In a fond way.

It's called a malapropism. 

• Posted

I don't think characters like Nellie Pledge know they've said anything wrong though, and I do as soon as I've said it or even as I'm saying something.

• Posted

I do this  frequently when talking to my husband and son. It's like my brain can't keep up with my mouth. Sometimes I replace one random word with another one or two. I would like to say I end up with the right word eventually, but often I don't. I know of a couple of other people who became convinced they were getting early onset dementia when they were actually peri. 

Your post reminded me that when I used to teach, I once said "internal orgasms" instead of "internal organs" to a class of teenage girls. Nothing to do with my hormones then, though!

• Posted

I have done this a lot!!!! I think why in the world did I use that word...So I hope its hormones because I have done it a lot!
  • Posted

I can identify with this..... I also have difficulty in finding the correct word! Also, I have found myself thinking things, but then they actually come out loud, it's like having a form of Tourette's, can be so embarrassing 😮

I had always been the sort of person who would keep quiet, rather than speak out, but now I am viewing my opinion, even if it is controversial, not like me at all!!   

• Posted

I can relate.. its like the filter is no longer working.. the one that decides to say the things your are thinking rolleyes  It is one of the menopause symptoms, ive seen it in a few official lists before. And not been able to find words is another.. at times i cant get a full sentence out without missing at least one word.. which is a bit annoying if your trying to have an adult argument with someone smile 
  • Posted

Yes..  I do this too.. My son often jokes with me about going back to school.   I just thought it was from being overtired...  
  • Posted

I think it's simply too much on our minds, along with age. I do it and so does my husband! Also, sometimes I just can't think of the word I want...age!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.