Randomly worsening depression symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there a chance something like an infection or even a vitamin supplement could increase thoughts of suicide? I’ve struggled with depression for the last 6 years and have been through bouts of sucidal ideation. Although I haven’t been great, I haven’t been suicidal and this week is suddenly, drastically worse. I’m having such dark suicidal thoughts seemingly out of nowhere, and I’ve lost all hope and motivation for anything. In the past these symptoms have never come on so intensely sudden like this. It started lasted Saturday, and has been pretty consistent since. One thing I can think of is that Saturday I started taking vitamin D3 5000 IU. That’s one thing that’s changed. But it’s a vitamin and vitamins are good, right? The only other thing I can think of is that several weeks ago, I had some sort of vaginal infection. Folliculitis or something. The first 2 days I took the antibiotic I was in so much pain. I had a migraine for over 48 hours, couldn’t sleep, and my whole body hurt like I’d been beaten. I don’t know if it was a reaction to the antibiotic or just the infection getting out of my system or what. But the rest of the time I took the antibiotic was fine. The symptoms pretty much subsided but I’ve been realizing it sometimes still burns when I pee. And if I touch my lymph nodes down there they’re still a little swollen and sore. I know people say that your mental health is influenced by your gut and other physical factors so I don’t know, I thought maybe it could be relevant. Does any of this seem like it could cause suicidal thoughts? I just don’t understand where this came from, and I really don’t want to have to go back to treatment. Obviously I plan to tell my psychiatrist about this but she’s so hard to get a hold of and my next appointment with her isn’t for a couple weeks. Thanks! Btw I’m 22 year old, otherwise healthy female and every day I take propranolol, Wellbutrin, lamictal, adderall, deplin and birth control.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily,  firstly I am really sorry to hear that you are having problems and the thoughts you are having.

I am not medical, but I have been in your place emotionally and felt like I have just wanted to let it all go, I have suffered with severe depression for a long time following an accident that has left me with many issues and disabled and unable to work, I’m 39 now but my problems started years ago. What I will say is that I have wanted to end things many times, but from talking to people on here, and I have received help from my GP and psychiatry team, I found something to stop me taking that last step. For me it is my children, and thinking what it will do to them.

I hope that you can find something like this, but if not, please before you think of doing anything, send me a message, or I can give you my details and you can call me. Someone did this for me and it helped me on those really hard days.

Regarding the vitamins I can’t see how these would effect you, but you had an infection, these can make you feel really poorly ( I have had many UTI infections from having to self catherterise ) and these can be horrible and has affected my mood, in the sense of why me again, sometimes the first few days of antibiotics can make you feel slightly more unwell as the meds and your body are fighting the infection. So this could make you feel down.

Have you thought about going to see your GP again to discuss your concernes and how you feel.?

As I said please don’t feel you are alone, you can PM me and I will be happy to chat, sometime putting it in to writing and reading things back can make you see things different.

Regards 

Buggsy ☺️

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear this.  Have you told your doctor you are taking vitamin D?  I ask because some vitamin supplements can interfere with prescription meds.  If you have a normal healthy diet and are not otherwise in poor health then I can't see why you need more vitamin D.  Also taking too much of this vitamin can cause liver damage so overdosing on bought vitamins can be very bad for you!  I would stop taking the vitamin D for the time being and see if you start feeling a bit better.  But if you carry on please do let your doctor know.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.