Range of Motion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All,

Had ORIF surgery on 6/14/19 (12 weeks post op) Ive been getting around okay without crutches but distance is very hard for me. I still use my boot sometimes when I know I will be on my feet for awhile.

I'm still pretty stiff and by end of day I am exhausted and have to crawl to my bed basically. I go back to work in a few weeks full duty.

I also noticed my knee has been bothering me and PT says its because I am not walking straight yet rather still keeping my right foot pointed out. This is due to the ROM. How much ROM should someone have at 12 weeks post op. I guess its my own fault because if I use crutches still It helps with the walking properly.

Any advice as Im worried about returning to work and also the stress on my knee. I also sprained my left ankle at the time of my fall. Which has improved a lot and I believe me stopping icing is what helped as I heard ice isnt good for sprains long term. Still a lot of pain in my broken ankle once I start my day only time I feel good is when I first wake up

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 13 weeks post op, ORIF surgery. I'm having the same issues. I'm walking with 2 crutches in a shoe, because my hip and knee hurt. My bad foot pokes to the left too Physio says it's because the ankle hasn't loosened up fully. I'm also experiencing a lot of swelling by the evening. she told me to keep doing the hip and knee excersises., the more I walk on it though, it does seem to loosen up little by little. Keep up the Physio and keep doing the excersises , is what I'm told. It's going to take some time for complete healing. Keep moving😊 You are not alone.

• Posted

Hello,

So we are pretty much on the same time frame and are experiencing the same issues. I'm always very stiff and PT said to try and do certain stretches and hold for quite some time because if you only are doing them for so many minutes a day you are not really building the memory which makes sense. I still feel like I do enough to where I shouldnt be as stiff as I am.

I'm still experiencing a lot of swelling as well and my knee seems to bother me at night now. Thank you for your kind words... I definitely can relate!

• Posted

Hi I'm 14 weeks post op on Wednesday and 5 weeks full weight baring today, I stopped using my boot three weeks ago and stopped my crutches two weeks ago. I still walk with a limp and like you my foot still favours pointing out to the right. My foot is very sore and a bit swollen by the end of the day and my other joints ache from supporting my bad leg but I found that each day it is easier. I just try to concentrate on keeping my foot straight while walking and find that helps me focus through the pain. I would say take it a little bit at a time... try walking in shoes or bare feet around the house on crutches at first and only use the boot when you have to leave the house, once you are comfortable doing that you can try it with one crutch and then none. After that you can try without the boot while outside.. This is how I did it and it seems to have been right for me., its just an option that might help x Its a frustrating process but it does get a little easier each day. Do your physio stretches , they are a godsend xx

• Posted

Thank you! Yes pretty much sounds like the way I have progressed as well. Im pretty much non reliant on anything but after pushing myself a week ago I suffered the past week having to wear my boot to food shop. Somedays I can do a decent amount of distance walking without anything and others Im easily exhausted.

I go back to work soon & I'm curious if the increased activity will work to my advantage... kindve hoping as I feel being inactive has probably made me weaker stamina wise! Hoping for the best. But lately from the poor walking with ankle pointing out its killing my knee!

thank you for ur post. Hang in there as well

• Posted

Im almost 9 weeks post op i was given green light about 10 days ago to go full body weight now 9 days later top of my foot is so sore I think the boot is irritating it.

I started PT as well

I was so excited to go FbW but now feel like Im going backwards.

MY foot does feel better if I ice it and take ADVIL

Im back to using crutches and I just think its a long road back.

I have Pt tomorrow

• Posted

Hello! I feel the same way. When it hurts really bad I take some tylenol and it helps loosen me up and definitely helps with the pain... i just try not to take it more than once or twice a week. PT is definitely a God send everytime I leave I notice improvement

• Posted

are u eating properly = alot of fibre, citrus drink, protein, veg etc which help you greatly.

• Posted

yes i eat a very well balanced diet

salad with almost every dinner and good proteins

I realize diet is very important in the recovery process

• Posted

Yes I try my best. Ive always ate pretty healthy and since injury Ive definitely eaten more nutritious meals to help boost recovery. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.