Range of motion after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 12 weeks post TKR. after 8 weeks of PT -my range was 110, and straight leg - at 3. I am now at 102, even with daily working out. I feel like this plateau may be permenant, and I am seriously worried. It's hard to do much w/o a good bend. Have any of you continunued to increase your bend after 3 months? Anything more specific I need to be working on? I even do water therapy and so far... not seeing an improvement. Any helpful responses will be appreciated!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had to have manipulation (no big deal) because I got stuck at 105. Keep pushing yourself but if the scar tissue has taken hold you may be facing a manipulation as well. After manipulation, I went from 115 to 122+ In less than 2 weeks. Best of luck. Keep on keeping on.
  • Posted

I tell people to expect advances, setbacks and plateaus...WHICH ARE THE WORST!!!!!  Got stuck at -4 for weeks...thought I would never break through but I did.  Started at -14 / +84 and finished PT 10 weeks later at -1 / +123.  Now at 16 months post-op, I'm 0 / +133.  Just takes time and a lot of work...especially after PT to finish the ROM and rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core to support the knee.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your responses. I saw ortho doc yesterday and he prescribed 2 more weeks of PT, started me on medrol dose pack, and gave me Flexeril for the night spasms. If after 2 weeks I have no improvment in my bend, I will need a MUA. Not what i want, but I feel I will compromise my daily life if i dont have a better bend. This site has been helpful and encouraging and I recommned it to anyone undergoing TKR... a surgery I was totally unprepared for ! all the daily, weekly, monthly up's and down's have taken it's toll on me, and many others. It's so helpful to have a site to read that I am not alone in this journey. I will go the next 2 weeks and see what happens. Meanwhile this medrol dose pk has decreased the swelling and made me feel better... I know it may not last, but a pain free morning is a real blessing!

• Posted

All I can say is I was stuck at a paltry 60 deg bend at 9 weeks due to scar tissue and swelling. At 10 weeks I had a manipulation and they got me to 95, then with intense physio I got to 110 but it is a constant battle now I'm 16 weeks and still swelling badly.

?I can feel the scars tightening as I sit even a short time, or after a sleep. If I stand or walk too much though the swelling is dramatic. The knee feels like made from a brick and rubber bands, not like a real knee - which I know it will never be.

?But everyone says this falls within normal healing although I know it has been very slow compared to many and we have to give it up to a year! I don't know but I think it sounds like your situation might fall within normal as well. If you are concerned, check in with your doc or physio to get a professional opinion, but I understand bend and flexion can improve for months after. I go to hospital physio and also a sports therapist and they are happy with progress. I am with happy with the ROM now but I know there is a long way to go still for me before I can judge that my knee has been a success.

• Posted

All I can say is I was stuck at a paltry 60 deg bend at 9 weeks due to scar tissue and swelling. At 10 weeks I had a manipulation and they got me to 95, then with intense physio I got to 110 but it is a constant battle now I'm 16 weeks and still swelling badly.

?I can feel the scars tightening as I sit even a short time, or after a sleep. If I stand or walk too much though the swelling is dramatic. The knee feels like made from a brick and rubber bands, not like a real knee - which I know it will never be.

?But everyone says this falls within normal healing although I know it has been very slow compared to many and we have to give it up to a year! I don't know but I think it sounds like your situation might fall within normal as well. If you are concerned, check in with your doc or physio to get a professional opinion, but I understand bend and flexion can improve for months after. I go to hospital physio and also a sports therapist and they are happy with progress. I am with happy with the ROM now but I know there is a long way to go still for me before I can judge that my knee has been a success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.