Ranitidine and fatigue

Posted , 5 users are following.

i've been taking 300 mg of ranitidine twice daily for over 5 years now. Recently, I have been experiencing terrible fatigue. My rheumatologist has ruled out just about everything including CFS. I'm beginning to wonder, after reading several articles leading me in this direction, whether my problem could be in my gut. Could this long term use of this drug be at the root of my fatigue issue which includes anxiety and depression on bad days. 

Anyone else encounter this problem and willing to share? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have , which is why I stopped taking the acid reducer and ppis. They helped in one area but seem to give me anxiety and muscle weakness. Mind you I was already having anxiety attacks due to hormones but it got worse during this time. The weakness and fatigue was so bad all I could do was lay in bed all day until I figured out what was doing it.
    • Posted

Thank you, Mary, for your insightful reply!  Did you just stop the ranitidine cold turkey or gradually? When did you begin to see an increase in energy levels?  I am taking ativan for anxiety and a sleeping pill to try to get good sleep which my rheumatologist says is the root of my problem. She never mentioned the ranitidine factor. 
    • Posted

I stopped cold turkey but was not on them long but bad idea. I got acid rebound , so I wouldn't advise cold turkey. I am trying to treat it with natural supplements now.

• Posted

I was taking Lanzoprazole for 3 years and experienced all the things you mention, I also ended in Rheumatology with no positive outcomes, you are right about the problem being in the gut, I persuaded my GP to check my B12 and Vitamin D as PPI's can destroy the balance of your gut where many of the vitamins are made. my Vit D came back really low, just a thought.

Good luck L 

• Posted

Hi I'm taking PPI medication and I was getting tied and depressed and my vitamin D was very low do I'm taking It D3 now feeling much better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.