Ranitidine and kidney tests/problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had acid reflux since my mid thirties, omeprazole did help but gave me blurred vision Zantac/rantidine works best and I've been taking it for about two years. Over the past few months I noticed my urine developed a green colour and now some blood tests have revealed my urea and electrolytes were borderline. I had been taking 2x150mg tablets per day, but now just take one at night. I am concerned that either these tablets have damaged my kidneys or have given a false reading. Can anyone help please?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I too have had acid reflux for several years and started with rantidine for a few months but my doctor switched to what he said was a more effective medication....Lansoprazole...started that at 30mg each morning, then after a few weeks having read this can lead to bone thinning probs longterm asked to take just 15mg daily...usually first thing on rising. It seems to do the trick but some days I worry about longterm us of HPIs.
  • Posted

As you know, your kidneys filter urea, and when your body has little water content, its function drops dramatically. Your diet including mineral intake also play a huge role.

Dedyradation is the major cause of your readings...an educated "guess".

Only insulin and anti reject meds are taken for any great length of time? The combo of these two meds dramatically reduce the volume of acid and other needed stuff to properly process what you put in your stomach.Suggest you ween whatever your taking bedtime..increase your fluid intake (not strong acid fruit juices)...we've suggested gatorade for low electrolytes,.,drink plenty of good filtered water at ph 8 plus....and change your diet. Do some home work on kidney function and clearances.  best...Claudio

• Posted

Unfortunately a lot of doctors have knowledge but no common sense. First do no harm is what they forgot. I was taking cimitidine, only for about five months, and only a low dose, and then woke up with awful pains lower back, also pains arms and legs, tired, worn out quickly, and gout in my toe. Had never had gout before and eat a good diet. I told the doctor I was sure the tablets had done some damage and he tried to say no no no you must be wrong. I insisted on blood tests and they proved I was right. I refuse to take these pills now or any of the other pp1s or pp2 as they can all hve the same effect.
  • Posted

Carmel while I am inclined to agree with you I tried to come off PPi;s by taking lower dosage then I tried alternate days on the medication, but I had severe effects, of wind eratic bowel movements and feeling very unwell and was told by my doctor they are for continual use as acid reflux does not clear up so you need medication.
    • Posted

When my reflux plays up I use bicarbonate of soda. There are other ways which are natural. I dont go along with this idea of totally changing your diet and only eating alkaline foods, think it is far too complicated, impractical and boring, and I usually cook for two so that would make it more difficult. Am sorry you have this problem.

Is it worth considering trying biotics. This cured me of ibs and the doctors laughed at the idea until I succeeded. Much of this stuff like wind and eratic bowel movements are like ibs symptoms and can be caused by the gut flora being unbalanced. If you eat lots of live yoghurt (the proper live yoghurt, not the fruity one with sugar) and take biotics thats what did it for me.

• Posted

Agree....My GI is an extrodinarily "heady" doc...in addition, he isn't one with the notion  that "patients are ignorant" (like 2 of my former GI's........however...he does possess Pro medical Bias..

You and a few others on this forum have taken control of their health...others seem to "search for a quick fix, search (fish) without a hook, and continue what they want vs need"...Claudio

• Posted

Wow...agree again.there should be a topic on this forum of an overview of the GUT as microbia imbalance leads to Chaos.... claudio
    • Posted

one paragraph truncated?....Of course there are those that have been healthy for most of their lives and when they've had medical issues, they resolved with and without professional care. But now are hit with a problem that dr treatments don't work?...Therefore, patient.info...Hope these patients get help from fellow members...claudio
    • Posted

Thanks Alan,

my thought re gut with new advances in technology and an ever increasing data base of knowledge of the role of

gut bacteria , an overview (how, what, when, why etc)

could be helpful/informative, imo most of the gut issues

here are microbia imbalances.

again thanks..claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.