Rant on food allergies. Food service not taking it seriously

Posted , 2 users are following.

long rant, but thank you in advance for reading.

I just really wanted to rant somewhere of food service personnel not taking allergies seriously.

I've started to stop going to certain places as the just don't listen.

I have an allergy to lemon 🍋 & every time I got to a fish & chip shop I say NO lemon as I have allergy. but they don't listen put it in anyway then get angry when I go back & say I said I'm allergic to lemon but you gave it to me amyway.

1 store in particular I gave a very, very bad review & warned people never to go there if people have allergies.

I ordered chips ect then found out they'd put lemon in it went back & they said sorry wait 5 mins & they'll cook new chips for me, well since I went there every week I trusted them. instead of cooking new ones I found they just flipped the originals over into a container, got through the chips got to the bottom and I tasted lemon throat & tounge swelled like no tomorrow I was lucky an antihistamine helped but my reactions keep getting worse every time it happens.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bluespots. I am also allergic to lemon - in fact any kind of salicylic acid. If your reaction is getting worse you need to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. This is what happened to me, and I went into full shock. You will need to see an allergist to identify the extent of your problem. It is very important. It could cost you your life. I carry antihistamines and epipens (2), but thankfully haven't had to use them for over 2 decades. You will also need to check when you are out and about whether food has been prepared with lemon, as often it is, and can be just as dangerous. I also let those I work with about my issues so they can warn me if they are having anything I can't tolerate, and I can vacate.

What I would say to you on the positive note is that it is a nuisance, but a perfectly manageable allergy. Don't be alarmed, just be aware.

• Posted

hi thank you for messaging me.

I have been meaning to go to an allergist I just have so much more going on with my health it keeps being pushed back.

I always look at labels now since last year when I had these BBQ chicken kebabs & my tounge started to swell, thought it was odd then discovered some BBQ sauces have lemon in them so disappointed but that's life now.

• Posted

Please make it a priority. You need to be prepared for a serious reaction. Although they are relatively rare, you must have the right meds available to you at all times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.