Rapaflo - Any ideas to restore ejacuations

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have had BPH symptoms for over 15 years (age 60 now). I tried 3 alpha blockers and felt like the side effects were worse than the problem so I just lived with the problem. Then, I got my first urinary tract infection and become more concerned. The flow was almost non-existent and I was literally urinating (more like dribbling) every 15 minutes. I went back to see a Urologist and had 3 tests (contrast dye to fill my bladder and check for strictures, which my Urologist thought I had). No stricture. I then had a Urodynamics test (catheter in penis, catheter type sensor in rectum, and sensory patches near anus). Test revealed dismal flow, 5X the normal obstruction, incomplete voiding, and a bladder which wasn't functioning normally. My Urologist was ready to schedule me for surgery but I insisted on one more procedure so he could see the problem so I would know what he was going to do. He performed a Csytoscope/camera procedure and measured the prostate with ultrasound. He said he decided to do nothing. My prostate was 27 grams (20-25 is normal I'm told) and my main problem was a bladder which no longer functioned properly. I felt like this was a death sentence. After considerable insistence by me, the Urologist gave me a sample of Rapaflo and told me to try it. He said it would cause retrograde ejaculation (something I experienced before on older alpha blockers). Rapaflo started improving urine flow within hours (about 5 hours for me), but the sexual side effects were far worse than I remembered with the alpha blockers. First, I didn't have retrograde ejaculation (where you still orgasm and ejaculate, but the semen goes into your bladder), I had anejaculation (no orgasm, no pleasurable spams, decreased pleasure up the point of orgasm, and then in a split second, all feeling ceased and the orgasm/ejaculation never occurred. Needless to say, I was devastated.

PROS of Rapaflo:  Immediate relief of BPH symptoms (increased flow, urge to urinate went from every 15 min to 2-3 hours, no waking up at night). Erections were not compromised.

CONs of Rapaflo: Anejaculation (no orgasm), significantly decreased pleasure during sex and then a split second prior to orgasm, it was like someone turned off a switch and everything went dead. I also have a stuffy nose on this drug. 

Depending on your age, this might be a very viable option for you. For someone still having sex, it may or may not be an option for you. The good thing is that you will immediately know after taking the first pill. I took the pill at 1PM and that night, the sexual side effects were immediate. From extensive reading on the internet, the most common complaint is retrograde ejaculation, but I think the people are experiencing anejaculation and just don't know it. Some people have cycled on and off Rapaflo in order to have sex, but I'm not sure if getting on and off the drug on a recurring basis is safe since the first few days after taking it, I've read your blood pressure is significantly lower and some people get dizzy or pass out. Good luck on this drug. I'm still taking it but desperately researching some other drug which might allow for ejaculations but still help with the BPH symptoms. Does anyone know if taking Sudafed or another OTC medication which might tighten the bladder neck enough to permit ejaculations? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Dave: Thank you for sharing your experience with RAPAFLO. I started with a new Doc yesterday. I was complaining about Uroxatrol (which I have been on for about 5 years)- no sexual problems with that. I noted that I was contantly tired, headache and dizzy on Uroxatrol, he inturn suggeested I move over to RAPAFLO. Doing my reseach, your story seems to be common. I have not started the RAPAFLO..sensing I will not.  Take care - Manuel
    • Posted

I was on Rapaflo for about a week. It was exactly as the OP said about the orgasms, etc. One day with very physical exertion while riding my dirt bike, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Very winded, could not get air. I went in for tests the next day, everything was fine. Before Rapaflo, I was on Flomax. Neither really helped my urination. 

Since then I have been on Terazosin (Hytrin), which is better the the other two for me, and doesn't have the retrograde ejaculation side effects.

• Posted

Thank you Motoman. I will push for the Terazosin.
    • Posted

It's worth trying. It lowers your blood pressure also, whether that is good or bad for you, the Dr can help with that. 
  • Posted

Have had enlarged prostate for years and taking tamsulosin for 4 yrs and avodart for 4 months. Must say I haven't seen any dramatic improvement in my symptoms, neither have I had erection or ejaculation problems. The only thing is my sperm seems to be less thick and abudant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.