Rapid aging after endometrial ablation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an endometrial ablation 2years ago when I was 46 due heavy periods. I also suffered from endometriosis for 20 plus years . I had several surgeries through the years and tried many short term treatments. It was sometime within the year after the last procedure ( the ablation) that I began to notice major changes to my skin and muscle tone. My skin began to get crepey and my muscle mass was deteriorating rapidly. There were also other major changes such as hot flashes , mood swings , and vaginal dryness . All of these are symptoms of menapuse but I hate how my physical appearance has changed! My gynecologist never mentioned that this would put me into a full blown menopause and says the surgery has nothing to do with it. I think she's full of s**t! Has anyone else gone through this type of surgery with a similar outcome?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why not check with your doctor to see the results of tests of your hormone levels over the years?  (I'm hoping that some were done.) You could test your hormone levels now and compare.

These changes are due to menopause. I know it's horrible, but every woman goes through this, and experiences it a bit differently.  My mother's periods didn't stop till she was in her mid 60's.  I went into menopause at 40 because of thyroid issues.

• Posted

I had ablation last year but after 5 months my heavy periods and pain came back Ian now going in for hystorectomy next Wednesday but never experienced any problems with my ablation apart from it didn't work for me long term x

• Posted

Hi Sandy, sorry to hear you are suffering.  Don't hate me lol but I would't think the ablation has caused the skin and muscle/hot flush symptoms.  BUT I will apologise now if this is a side effect of ablation.  It sounds to me like you've gone into menopause on its own accord.  Have you had a blood test for hormones.  I am on HRT and it's keeping my skin in good condition.  Not sure if they will give you HRT with endometriosis.  Hope you get to the bottom of what's going on.

• Posted

Stumbled upon this thread after searching google for 'hot flushes after ablation' 

I'm 42 and showed absolutely no signs of menopause but since this procedure a week ago I feel like a lump of burning coal is travelling down my body! My eyes actually water with the heat radiating off my face!    Will be off to docs for hormones level check if this carries on.........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.