Rapid B12 depletion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia in December & have been recieving injections since! My question is... Does anyone have a clue why my B12 levels are dropping so rapidly?

Thank you for any responses.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

was it loading injections ? is your folate and ferritn at a good level, it may be you done absorb b12 have you had any other tests x
    • Posted

Hi, jazzyanne smile No I don't absorb it but I'm running out so so quickly the injections aren't lasting a crack!! I think I might start on folic acid tablets & see if that slows it down a bit....
    • Posted

Yes folic acid was recommended by my dr to help absorb b vit.

• Posted

My doctor explained to me that my B12 drops rapidly.  Each person as an individual has their own numbers your body will hold. I am on a schedule where every Friday morning, I give myself an injection of 3 ml. Cyanacobalmin. I am in the USA and I have it prescribed and I inject it myself at home.  My body dumps B12 easily but I found out that having alcohol also makes the liver dump B12.  If I go out for wine with my friends, I will notice a lower energy level that week. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Dena! I got an injection yesterday & hopefully along with my patches & spray I'll stay topped up enough until my next jab in 4 weeks time.
  • Posted

it is not uncommon for older people to be mildly deficient. I had all the symptoms and from a standard yearly physical found low levels in vit B.This may be because of  diets, or because of  less stomach acid, which the body needs to absorb B12.

i was low in B complex , b12 and take daily supplements.i had to change my diet by eating more foods with B. In 6 mo the dr will check it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.