Rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, chest tightness, hollow chest pain all after eating.

Posted , 5 users are following.

This started about a week ago.

I noticed my heart was racing and I felt like I was going to faint if I didn't get up and move.

This happened two more times before I went to urgent care.

They did an EKG and it was normal, but my heart rate and blood pressure was still abnormally high.

The doctor added a beta blocker to my list of medications to try and bring my heart rate and blood pressure down.

She also suggested I get a sonogram of my heart since I haven't had one in about 10 years.

(I went to a cardiologist when I was 17 and they diagnosed me with high blood pressure and a heart murmur. At that time they checked my heart with a sonogram (it was clear) and they checked to see if my kidneys were blocked to see if it was causing high blood pressure (that was clear)

Right now I'm taking:

10mg simvastatin

20mg omeprazole

2 carvedilol tablets a day (3.125 mg) new medication urgent care put me on

1 mg Finasteride

25 mg Losartan

I thought about it and realized this is happened about thirty minutes to an hour after I ate.

I've got a follow up with my family doctor's nurse practitioner in a few days.

I've also tried to eat just a liquid diet and have found I don't have those symptoms, but if I eat solid foods then it will trigger a fast heart rate, high blood pressure, tingly hands, chest tightness, and slight chest pain.

side note - about two weeks before this started, I was on a Zpack for a terrible cough I had. I'm still coughing up green phlegm about twice a day. The Zpack didn't seem to help all that much. I don't have a fever though.

Please help with any suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dylan,

You are on a lot of medication, have you checked them out and the side effects? What is your age as one of the medications is for an enlarged prostate. Quite often medication can cause more illness than it solves, doctors then give more to counteract the side effects of another drug, then you have side effects from that and the cycle goes on. One drug you are on can cause coughing, educate yourself regarding the drugs, my husbands health was ruined by being given drugs he did not need.

• Posted

Hi Dylan!

I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound similar to being in afib. Afib is usually caught on an ekg, and the problem is if you are not IN afib (it comes & goes) it goes undiagnosed.

However, as mentioned above I am not a doctor and am not sure if there are other tests to detect this condition. Or it can be something else entirely.

Just my two cents!

Best of luck!

Kathy

• Posted

Sounds like you are having tachycardias regularly. You need a 24 hour holter monitor to see exactly what your heart is doing. Good luck.

• Posted

have you been tested for a pulmonary embolism? Just with the cough, high blood pressure and elevated heart rate, I thought it could be a possibility. It sounds like you need to be on different antibiotics if you are still coughing up green phlegm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.