Rapid sight loss from Glaucoma....

Posted , 4 users are following.

is anyone in a similar situation to me....I fell into the trap of thinking my eyes were

ok until I had a episode were my left eye vision went black...I went to hospital to be told

its Glaucoma....my vision in the effected eye is very poor now, it affected my central vison

and I'm petrified about my future now with this problem ! Can anyone give any advice or how

to cope with this sudden threat to my vision ! the last 4 weeks have been very difficult dealing

with the stress and life changing event that came all of a sudden. I'm 64 so still a lot of years

to live with this disease and the horrible eye pain, I also have a constant flickering scotoma in the affected

eye which is really disturbing...sorry for the long text...just need to chat to other people in the same

boat....Brgds Noel

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this Noel. When Glaucoma suddenly takes your sight it can be devastating and takes a lot of adjusting.Whatever treatment you are having make sure you always take the advice and medication given and look after your other eye. I hope there are others who can give you some more tips on how to get over this phase of your life.

• Posted

Hi Noel, Im sorry to read your message. im 47 years old and have lost a lot of vision. Keep your spirits up. With the correct medication Im sure you wont lose much more vision.

• Posted

Hi Noel

I'm really sorry to hear about what's happened to you.

I had an acute glaucoma attack last August 2020 (needing urgent surgery) after ignoring the warning signs of blurred vision for 4 nights until the pain started & I've had YAG iridotomy on my other eye.

I know how stressful & worrying it is for you!

I don't know about your local hospital, but my local hospital couldn't help me as the hospital didn't have an emergency eye department (I went on a Saturday evening) & was told to go to Birmingham Midland Eye Centre immediately which was closed when we got there at 10.30pm, but we didn't realise at the time that we should've gone to City Hospital A&E next door instead who have an emergency eye department.

Birmingham Midland Eye Centre have been brilliant & would definately recommend them but I know the hospital may be a long way for you to travel from Gloucester.

Make sure you go to a hospital that has an eye department so you can protect your other eye & keep on taking the meds they have prescribed.

I hope everything goes well for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.