Rapid weight gain...anyone experienced this in anorexia recovery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm currently seeing a dietitian fortnightly, and today was a weigh day.

My weight had shot up 2kg and I have really freaked out.

My dietitian wasn't clear what it could be when we analysed my intake - although she suspects some bloating potentially as it wouldn't be possible to gain that much weight in this period of time.

It's not my time of the month either, when I know I get bloating (I have a week to go till this).

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar in anorexia recovery.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It actually is possible to put on 2kgs in 2 weeks as last time I weighed myself I was 51kgs next time I was 53kgs which would have been 2kgs in 4 weeks then I weighed myself last week, one week after the 53kg weigh in n I was 54kgs which surprised me to put on another kg so yeah that's what happens when u start eating lol

I'm delighted I wanna be heaviersmile

What weight are you?

• Posted

Also when I though I was 51kgs end Feb I weighted 49kgs on hospital scales so I dunno maybe clothes put on weight n I'm not truely that as I'd only nightgown on in hospitalsad that would mean I might truely only be 52kgs!! Still beats 45kgs lol

Glad your getting help don't freak out there's worse things that could happen it's problem just initial reaction it will level out as your body has enough calories etc...

• Posted

Thank you. I have around 3kg or so to gain.

Different scales can have huge fluctuations so it's not a surprise that you have had different results.

You will weigh different amounts with or without clothes.  For these reasons I stick consistently with my dietitian's scales and also wear similar clothing so I can compare appropriately. 

I think it was shock more than anything else. 

• Posted

I know the fat fear is scary.

I'm sure there will be others here that will chirp in with similar experiences.

• Posted

Hiya

Yes this is perfacetly normal as the body is re nuritiing itself. i know its scaryc as i have just been discharged from hospital but honestly its worth it and it does slow down

• Posted

I was hospitalised for anorexic and put on a re feeding program. My body ( I think ) was in shock with the amount of calories I was eating so it clung on every one. My weight went up really fast. Once my body got used to the amount of food I was eating my weight settled and didn't go on as fast. I eat well now and I can cope with it a lot better. My weight is healthy. Keep going and be strong 💪

• Posted

Hi, I saw from other posts that you seem very knowledgable and understanding about these kind of topics and I was wondering if you could help me.

I dont know if I am over reacting but maybe some resassurence would be good too.

Im 17 years old and Im short, just over 5ft, and I weight 42kg. I have this desire to be skinny and be the skinniest out of the people I know or see because I feel this is right due to my height. 

I track my calories and make sure i dont eat over 1200 a day. Whenever I do eat something I dont think I should I feel guity and regret eating it. I weight myself all the time and feel annoyed at myself when I have 'gained' weight. 

I guess it got a bit more serious because I have havent had my period and I found myself to be very constipated...sorry... I still havent started my period either, could this be down to my eating. 

I am also going away in the next week or so and I know there will be lots of nice restaurants, one of which is an American one, which i know has a lot of calories, and im already planning to eat the healthiest thing on there and then that can be it for the day. I want to eat what I want and not put on weight but I just dont know how to do it.

Sorry for using this to speak to you, i just really would like some reassurance or help. I wanted to speak directly too you because I saw how much help and effort you had put into other people hence me trying to send this directly too you.

Thank you soo much

• Posted

Oh gosh, I found where you can personally message someone now...Sorry!
    • Posted

Hi Katy,

Thanks for sharing, I'll private message you later today.

Could I also encourage you to give the Beat (the UK's eating disorder charity) Helpline a call? This is open from 4pm-10pm every day and is free to call.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.