Rapid weight loss in prozac

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve  taking Prozac since the beginning of September. Started on 10 mg. Then got up to 20 after four weeks and now I’m taking 40 mg once a day. I have lost 30 pounds.  I have no appetite whatsoever. I’m extremely thirsty, all I can drink is water. I don’t even think about food. And for me that’s a big deal because I use to bing and gained a lot of weight from depression. Is this normal? Has anyone else lost weight???

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bree,

Yes in the beginning you can have loss of appetite, nausea and weight loss. Once the medication gets settled in your system it should ease. Everytime you up your dose it can restart the symptoms and it can take 4-8 weeks for it to settle again. I drank smoothies when I could and constantly water. If your stomach is sensitive or upset try ginger ale or ginger tea.

I hope this helps

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.