Rash on face- is it sehborric dermatitis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and suffering from a rash on my face.

The first breakout was around 5 weeks ago. I noticed a red spot above my left eyebrow after hearing stressful news and eventually it spread to my chin and above my lip. I was at the beach and after around 3 days the rash or whatever it was hardened and left...the skin was kind of dry. The "rash" has a blister look to it up close and is red. It looks like a ton of little pimples and some of the spots even have what look like white heads. It's not painful but does itch somewhat.

1 week later the rash came back and I decided to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist said I had sehborric dermatitis, but didn't take a sample to have a lab test or anything. She basically just looked at my face and told me what I had. She prescribed me ketaconzol for 2 weeks day & night.

Same thing happened with this out real it kind of came and went. The ketaconzol I guess worked because I didn't have an outbreak for around 2 weeks.

Well, I just stopped the ketaconzol on Monday and and this morning (Friday) I woke up to the same blistery looking rash again. This literally happens overnight. It has just gotten worse throughout the day. Now I have it above my left eyebrow up onto my forehead, the bridge of my nose and around my right eye, chin, above lip, and some on right cheek.

I need help! Was the dermatologist right when she said SD? Or could this be something else. I know they say the skin is scaly with SD but I'm not sure mine is.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm no doctor but it sounds like perioral dermatitis which is what I have.   I didn't get it around my eyes or forehead but it was on my upper lip chin sides of mouth and chin and my nose.  I do know that it does pop up around the eye area like the outer corners and on the forehead.  And that's just what I have read online in different forums of those diagnosed with POD.   My doctor put me on elidel cream for a month twice a day.  It took about a week for it to go away to where you couldn't see it as much, but a full 2 weeks for it to actually go away totally.  I am still on the cream and I am religious with it too!  I also can't wear any makeup while using the medication or any other facial creams etc.  to wash my face there are mixed reviews out there on this.  My doctor told me to use cetaphil but I read a lot of stuff that said to stay away from anything with SLS and fragrance in it.  So I have been  using the Dr. Bronners unscented baby sugar soap to wash my face and then I put my cream on and that's it.  I have not had any problems with that either.  I have my follow up appointment next Tuesday but, like you, even though the rash has been gone for 2 weeks now, I am scared of what's gonna happen when I stop.  I also use a natural fluoride free toothpaste as well that's another thing that could possibly trigger it (fluoride) and I also got on a raw zinc supplement.  I have some questions to ask when I go back like what if it comes back? Do I have to go back on the cream for a month?  Is there a natural way to heal this without the medicine? I have also read of the adverse health risks of prolonged use of the elidel cream so I don't know.  Oh and I don't know exactly what it is you're on a pill or creme, but DON'T, for the love of God DON'T use anything with steroids in it.  It's bad news otherwise.  I will post what happens after my next follow up to explain what the doctor says about all this.  Hope this helps, of anythinf you can at least pose it to your derm and see what they think!  Good luck!  

• Posted

Hello. It sounds like you experienced something very similar to what I am experiencing... going on 2 YEARS now and I’m beyond over it.  I have been to two doctors one said it was rosecha and the second said no it’s dermatitis. They didn’t say specifically that it was the POD type though. Mine seems to pop up all over my face. Forehead sides of face it’s currently in my nose really bad. Have you had any luck clearing yours up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.