Rash on neck

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I've had a rash on my neck for about a month. The first day it appeared I went to a walk in clinic and got a 2.5% steroid cream. That did nothing.  

The rash definitely improved, but never went away. And the itching was amazingly intrusive.  So I went to my dermatologist Friday. He gave me betamethazone .1%  That stopped most of the itching, but now the redness has expanded and, though the rash feels better, it looks worse.

Both the doc in the box and my regular derm agree it is a contact dermatitis. Any thoughts/ideas on how to proceed? Is their an elimination protocol I am missing? The derm said 'we often don't know what sets this off.'

I am scared and a little frustrated. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maddysmom,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Avoid whats causing it in your home or at work. Start making a list of everything around you. Your bed, sheets, carpet, couch, etc. Anything you recently bought. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks! I'm giong to start a week of nothing but dove soap and baby shampoo.  But I am concerned because it seems worse at night.  The derm didn't think much of that observation. But the rash often wakes me up in the middle of the night. 

I am wondering if it is my retainer or my bite guard. Both dentail appliances are about 6 months old; the soaps and shampoo I have been using for years. Ugh.  This has taken over my life!

The redness on my neck is better this morning, but it has migrated diagonally across my chest to my arms. I wore my bite guard last night.....

Thanks for your help. I'll take the pillows to the laundromat today. 

• Posted

I was using a soap for over twenty years and all of a sudden it caused itching and rashing for me. I would strongly suggest that you not use any soap are shampoo with fragrance. They might cost a little more, but will not cause any flare-ups. Also, it could be your washing detergent. Another thing you should do is to take an allergy test. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.