Rash on Neck after starting Lisinopril

Posted , 11 users are following.

Help...anyone experienced a rash from taking Lisinopril?  I started taking it about a month ago and now the back of my neck itches and now appears to be working it's way around to the front of my neck. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

yes, on back, very itchy, had to stop lisinopril, over a year ago, i also had a lichenoid rash in one area, thought to also be connected. Both took ages to go. Apparently the rash is well known as a symptom, also a had a cough. The rash over my back took quite a while to go.
    • Posted

Hi Annie, thank you so much for your response. I was having a difficult time trying to figure out what was causing this problem. My doctor did not think it was the Lisinopril because she thought the reaction would have began immediately.  Did your doctor give you a prescription for another blood pressure med?  If so, what was it?   
    • Posted

Hi, Mesirm, if i recall correctly, the rashes started after some weeks, the first was the lichenoid rash, then at least a few weeks later, the very itchy rash started, that is when i stopped.  i had already tried lisinopril some years previously without a rash, but with the more common electrolyte imbalance, so i had had to stop that time as well . After i that went back to using Resperate breathing exercises and beetroot juice, but had some more problems and went on low dose betablockers, which had far far worse side effects, and the effects of coming off them were very bad - i am only just recovered.  My GPs are very hesitant about prescribing losartan or anything else at present, until they get advice. Sorry i can't help.  Have you tried other blood pressure medications?

• Posted

Hi Annie, I've tried several and the one prior to Lisinipriol was Amlodipine which the side affects gradually built up so I did not realize my digestive problems were a result of it. I still have a little itching around my neck but it is not as bad as  it was a couple of weeks ago. It appears that this is a wake-up call for me to try some natural treatments because of the side affects.  I've heard garlic can help. I have not heard of resperate breathing but I'm going to look into it. I'm also going to get more regular massages as well. You have helped more than you know. I would have taken the Lisinopril longer and made the itching worst. It is such a strange reaction that I was thinking it was allergy related as opposed to meds. Thanks again and ...hoping you find your path to better health and quality of life. 

• Posted

Hi, Mesirm, if you have not already stopped Lisinopril, in my experience it is a good thing to stop very slowly, also i read that it can stay in the system for up to 15 days - even though i had been on a tiny dose, i had an incident a few days after stopping - sudden low pulse  and feeling so ill i called an ambulance - so i had to restart at a lower dose and wean off . i just happen to be sensitive to medicines. RESPiRATE is available on prescription in some areas, though not mine. Thanks for your good wishes, i hope you find a satisfactory treatment, Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks, Annie. I stopped a few days before your initial reply.  So far, no downside. The itching is almost gone. 
  • Posted

i have been taking lisinopril 10mg 1x daily for many years, usually without side effect. every now and again when i refill ive noticed that the Lupin made pills give me the dreaded cough.  today i woke up with rash on my face, head and neck. it isnt itchy but even my eye lids have little red hives. once again the pills are Lupin.  Lupin Pharmaceudicals is located in India. while i am sure they are very good at making cheap drugs for the world in mostly safe and hygienic conditions, there must be something they are doing wrong.  

• Posted

well, you should need at first take care yourself and be nit and clean your desired space, and its too havey that means if to ruff you can consult with your family doctore and else...
  • Posted

Hi Mesirm , Just me but have you ever looked at Psoriasis i think these tablets cause Psoriasis ,But i'm no doctor . 

• Posted

Hi Anthony,  the rash has completely cleared up now that I am no longer taking Lisinopril. Thank you for your response. 
    • Posted

I have been off Lisinopril for almost 2 weeks, just wondering how long it took for face rash to go away?
  • Posted

The same thing is happening to me. I'm so glad I looked for an answer. I've been on for ten months. I will call my doctor tomorrow. I don't like tasking meds, would prefer a natural solution. Thank you.

• Posted

My 6 year old daughter takes lisinopril 2.5mg for her leaking heart valves as a preventative measure. She started it almost 2 years ago but around 2 months ago developed a severe itchy rash that has now spread to her bottom, back, legs, arms and neck. I stopped her lisinopril 3 days ago purely to see if it was the trigger as we had tried cutting lots of things from her diet but it was getting worse so o figured it wasn’t a food allergy. None of the creams from our GP have worked and I was reluctantly giving her antihistamines daily. I’m now waiting to hear back from her cardiologist and the GP has referred her to a dermatologist. I’m worried as the rash on her arms looks a lot like psoriasis and I’m concerned it may never go. It’s currently 2:30am and she is awake again with terrible itching and bleeding from the rash on her arms. Does anyone know how long after stopping lisinopril it can take before the skin gets better and does it ever go back to normal? I feel helpless and hate seeing her like this.
    • Posted

Hi Julie, it took about 2 to 3 weeks for the itching and rash to go completely away.  My doctor was not convinced that Lisinopril was the reason for the rash/itching because it took 3 or 4 weeks for this side affect to appear.  I stopped taking it as soon as I suspected that it was possibly the reason.  It subsided quickly in my case but still took 3/4 weeks to completely stop. It was definitely the Lisinopril.  The itching started on the back of my neck and gradually moved to the front of my neck and then welts began forming. 

Everyone is different but I hope it clears up much faster for your little one.  If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.  Also, please update when you can. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Did you start taking anything in place of lisinopril? I’m reluctant to give her anything now but pretty sure that they’ll say she has to take something to prevent her heart from becoming enlarged. She is itching slightly less after just 3 days off it so I feel fairly sure that lisinopril is the trigger. I so wish it had occurred to me sooner though. She has a combination of red spots, welts and lots of small skin coloured bumps plus leathery patches on her elbows and knees that look so similar to psoriasis. I’m so worried but it’s good to know there’s a chance of it disappearing completely, thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Julie, ....forgive delay in responding.  I thought that I had responded.  Ive stopped taking all meds pretty much. Im changing my diet and started intermittent fasting because of the med side effects.  I feel so much better.  

....hoping they were able to find something to work for your little one. 

• Posted

Hi mesirm how did you stop your meds. Did you wean off or just stop taking med. Planning to take natural med like garlic and bananas and diet and exercise. Are taking any natural remedies?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.