Rash on temple area

Posted , 13 users are following.

About 4 months ago I noticed a rash begin to develop on either side of my face, specifically around the temple area and just outside of my hairline.  It started on the right side then appeared on the left, and began spreading locally around the temple area for about a week.  It started as small raised red bumps that were similar to normal acne, were somewhat sensitive to the touch but not itchy.  After initially spreading around the temples, the rash has remained isolated on either side of my face.

I have visited the doctor on 3 occasions (urgent care, primary care physician, then a dermatologist), and was initially diagnosed with "acute folliculitis".  From the first two visits I was prescribed two antibiotics:  Cephalexin, then Minocycline, as well as a topical Benzoyl Peroxide cream.  The dermatologist took skin samples to test for various possible diagnoses, but all the tests came back inconclusive.  I was prescribed the topical steroid cream triamcinolone acetonide by the dermatologist.

After the early visits using the topical cream and antibiotics the bumps of the rash came down to be flush with the level of my skin, however they have remained as red circles with very little change in appearance or number.

In addition to the prescribed antibiotics and creams I have tried topical applications of teatree oil, apple cider vinegar, and over the counter face wash products.  I should note that nothing had changed in my life that might explain the sudden appearance of a rash unlike anything I've ever had before (no change in laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, diet, medication, habits, etc)

At this point I'm not sure what else to try, but I have a hard time believing this seemingly random rash cannot be treated.  I'm open to any suggestions and happy to provide more details about my case.  

Thank you for reading!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have a very similar condition that started on the left side of my forehead around the temple and has now slowly started on the right side of my face. 

Similarly i have not changed my diet, shampoo, detergents but i did start using a face scrub so i'm not sure at this stage if somehow i irritated the skin.

I plan to visit the doctor ASAP since it has been present for 2 months now and is not getting any better.

I will keep you posted on the diagnosis. If you have any update (since i believe you posted your comments 4 months ago) i would be very happy to hear if anything you treid has worked.

• Posted

I have very similiar condition for almost three year. Sometimes it goes way but it always come back.

I have never found the reason.

Have any of you guys have sucess?

• Posted

Hi Martin,

U have the exact same problem and Nothin is working for me.

Wanted to know if u were able to find a cure for this.

Warm regards,

Sam3007

• Posted

I have very similiar condition for almost three year. Sometimes it goes way but it always come back.

I have never found the reason.

Have any of you guys have sucess?

• Posted

Hi Rafael,

I know this thread is kind of dead but in case u see this, plz let me know if u found a solution.

• Posted

I have noticed some similar bumps in the same areas. It started near the temple. And then it would go away. Its back again for third time and it has spread from the temple near the hair line to the forehead.

I had breast implant surgery last November. And I was wondering. If you had had any kind of breast surgery?. This rash seems to have developed months after my surgery.

Hope to hear from you

• Posted

Hi, I have the same problem. It started on the right temple then left and now they are right below the chin and ears. It might be hormonal issues or side effects of the meds I'm taking. I have an appointment with the Dermatologist in 4 days, so I'll mention it to him. Hopefully I will have an answer.

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Plz let me know if you have found any solution to this.

• Posted

Guys,

I have very similar condition and it started when I was taking antibiotics. I really think it may be related. What do you think? Did any of you took antibiotics?

• Posted

I did, was started on 800mg bactrim an a blood thinner after becoming allergic to something. Haven't been allergic to anything in my life. They later told me to stop the antibiotics.. the hives seem to have stopped for now but I keep seeing pump knots on my forehead near my hair line or the back of my head.

• Posted

Plz let me know if u were able to find any solution to this. It'll help me alot.

• Posted

I also had symptoms after two rounds of antibiotics. After a few months of being off the antibiotics these symptoms went away. I'm not sure what was the exact cause of it.

• Posted

Hi,

Were you able to find a solution to this problem.

• Posted

I had a similar issue and found that applying Benedryl cream worked! I did this every day after my morning shower and before bed. It was gone within a week. I hope this will help?
  • Posted

I realise this is an old post, but I had a similar problem: small bumpy rash on my forehead, temples and scalp that was not atypical to acne spots. They are sore to touch, do not come to a head, and take forever to heal. The rest of my face was clear of spots except the odd ingrown caused by shaving. Like you, I went through rounds of antibiotics tablets and creams, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide with little or no improvement. Just when things seem to be almost clear, more would crop up. The flat red marks left behind are shiny, scaly and noticeable.  At 40 years old and having to wear my hair short due to thinning, these things seemed to draw more attention to something for which I'm already self-conscious.

Desperate for a solution, I began researching this issue online and realised that my dermatologist was treating this as a bacterial infection when it could, in fact, be a fungal infection. I learned that fungal folliculitis in its various forms bears all of the attributes listed above and even leads to hair loss if left untreated. I have small bald patches on my scalp from past spots to prove it!  It does not respond well to antibiotics, and in fact, they can potentially make things worse.

Here's what has worked for me: I stopped taking the antibiotic tablets that weren't working I had been on for nearly a year and stopped using the antibiotic creams. I started taking probiotic capsules to restore my natural gut flora and began drinking more water than usual ( at least 4 litres per day). I reduced eating foods with added sugar, junk/processed food and red wine.  For some reason, even one glass of red wine resulted in more spots overnight. Luckily G&Ts do not :-)  The fungus seems to thrive when I eat lots of sugar, fats/oils.  Then at night before bed, I apply a thin layer of ketoconazole 2% shampoo (Nizoral - OTC at any chemist) to the affected areas (forehead, temples and scalp) and leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off in the shower. Within two days, the larger spots had dramatically reduced and by days 3-4, they eventually dried up and sluffed off. Every morning I wake up my forehead and scalp is a bit smoother and calmer.  At day 6, the red, scaly mark on my temple area is slowly starting to fade with the patch of shiny/scaly skin sluffing off to reveal fresh skin underneath.  I have sensitive skin, so this causes the skin to be a bit tight, so for moisturiser, I stopped using my regular moisturiser and instead use a few drops of pure squalane oil at bedtime and wake up with my skin looking fresh. I will continue this until I'm 100% clear - probably another 6 days.a This is the most improvement I've seen since the problem started a year ago, so I'm inclined to believe I'm on the right track. Apologies for the long reply. I hope it helps save someone with similar symptoms the pain and effort. 

• Posted

Ok guys, So I think I have this. It seems very similar to what I have. My derm said it looked like alopecia arieta, which is when your immune system attacks your hair follicles, resulting in balding in random patches on the skin, but I think I may have some form of fungal folliclities. I have red spots and boils on my temple areas. I have a ton of hair(thankfully), but my right temple has a bald spot the size of a an eyeball and my right side is slowly balding as well, I I get boils and spots in my hair and then I notice more hair is gone the next time I wash.. Both spots usually are always having some spots and irritation, but I always thought it was some scalp acne. I have no idea what to do. I have been eating an AIP diet, (auto immune paleo), but haven't had much luck...Maybe Ill try what cmhuk76  said.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.