Rash on temple area

Posted , 13 users are following.

About 4 months ago I noticed a rash begin to develop on either side of my face, specifically around the temple area and just outside of my hairline.  It started on the right side then appeared on the left, and began spreading locally around the temple area for about a week.  It started as small raised red bumps that were similar to normal acne, were somewhat sensitive to the touch but not itchy.  After initially spreading around the temples, the rash has remained isolated on either side of my face.

I have visited the doctor on 3 occasions (urgent care, primary care physician, then a dermatologist), and was initially diagnosed with "acute folliculitis".  From the first two visits I was prescribed two antibiotics:  Cephalexin, then Minocycline, as well as a topical Benzoyl Peroxide cream.  The dermatologist took skin samples to test for various possible diagnoses, but all the tests came back inconclusive.  I was prescribed the topical steroid cream triamcinolone acetonide by the dermatologist.

After the early visits using the topical cream and antibiotics the bumps of the rash came down to be flush with the level of my skin, however they have remained as red circles with very little change in appearance or number.

In addition to the prescribed antibiotics and creams I have tried topical applications of teatree oil, apple cider vinegar, and over the counter face wash products.  I should note that nothing had changed in my life that might explain the sudden appearance of a rash unlike anything I've ever had before (no change in laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, diet, medication, habits, etc)

At this point I'm not sure what else to try, but I have a hard time believing this seemingly random rash cannot be treated.  I'm open to any suggestions and happy to provide more details about my case.  

Thank you for reading!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the exact same thing acute folliculitis antibiotics seem to help for a little while but it comes right back I also use hibiclens daily it helps keep it dried up good luck anybody gets a something that works let me know it's driving me crazy

• Posted

I have the same red rash patches on my temples down to my jaw line. I bet that most sufferers of this malady wear glasses, sunglasses, earbuds, some kind of hat or baseball cap, or have a favorite pair of garden gloves that they wipe their forehead with the back of while working. You see where I am going with this. No matter what the cause or source, we have a fungus that we continue to re-apply over and over again making this problem very difficult to stop re-occurring which makes it seem like we cant solve it. I think mine started after taking antibiotics for a sinus infection. Antibiotics kill off some protective fungus and lets more aggressive fungus move in. Not the first time dealing with this but different fungus (thrush). Here is what I did to fix the red rash problem:

1. Wash everything that comes in contact with your head with hot water and soap. If you want to do the job with absolute confidence, dip all your reading and sun glasses in a light bleach solution of cold water after soaping them up in hot water. If you use ear buds, give them a wipe down with bleacj solution on a paper towel.

2. Wash all your hats, gloves and pillow cases in the washer with hot water and soap.

3. While treating the rash, use towels on your pillows when sleeping so you can change and wash them regularly.

4. Shampoo your hair daily. I use a tea tree based shampoo I got from where I get my hair cut.

5. I apply anti-fungal cream in the morning and at night. I use an inexpensive store brand athlete's foot cream containing clotrimazole 1%.

Should disappear in less than a week. Continue the washing and anti-fungal cream regimen for an additional week to make sure you don't reinfect the area. I wish you the best. I was very self-conscious and uncomfortable  with this very visible problem.

• Posted

I know it's an old thread, but same condition on temples and face.... I found something that works for starters, I also found what was causing it for me! I tried a lot of things, saw doctors who told me it was auto immune disorder and was treated with no relief.....

Throughout time I tracked diet to see what changes made it better and worse. Turns out was fake sugars.... I like the juice drops in water. I saw an herbalists, nice Asian fellow who gave me a tube of "YIGANERJING" and it started working within 2 days time. You can buy this stuff on Amazon. It's a yellow cream. Any how might sound funny but I would add this to the affected areas, wait to dry then add a thin coat of carpet to seal it in and moisturise. Worked real fast. hope this helps! also I stopped drinking fruit drops.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.