Rash still spreading, on anti viral for 5 days....Is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

As the title says, I have been on anti viral meds for five days- started Tuesday afternoon when I was diagnosed?. I have been watching the rash, and it has definitely gotten worse over the five days- no big blisters, but the red, bumpy rash.

Is this still normal for the rash too spread, or do I need to see about a different treatment? I am also considered immunocompromised, so I know I need to take special precautions regarding opportunistic infections.

Thanks!!

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It all depends. Normally, antivirals are best effective when it's use within 48-72 hours once the you see the first initial breakout (The day when you see the first shingles rash). However, it doesn't mean you can't take the antivirals if it's past that period because sometimes it will help. Also, it also depends if that specific antivirals will work for you. Some antivirals will work not work for others and some will. In my experience, I took my antivirals(Acyclovir) past the 72 hour period and the rash was spreading like crazy. However, after 8 days, it converted to blisters. Now, i'm on day 15 and i'm on the scabbing stage.

In your situation, i would think after a couple or more days, those rashes will turn into blisters then a couple more days later those rashes will turn into scabs or you may be the lucky one and not get blisters at all. The best thing to do is try not to look at it every second becaue it's going to stress you out and might aggrevate your shingles. That's what i did, i was constantly looking at it every second to see if it got better or worse. The most important thing is to just relax, take time off from work, get lots of rest and continue to take your medicine. If you a experiencing any pain, make sure to take some pain meds or get some from your doctor if you have not done so.

I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Yes, even though you take the anti viral meds, it doesn't stop the rash or pain etc. It just acts as a buffer, so that it doesn't become out of control. Mine spread for 3 weeks before it stopped spreading, then the other symtoms lasted another 2 months and I unfortunately have reoccurring shingles. Every shingles case can be different, although some folks do experience a text book case. There is a wealth of information on this site and many kind folks to answer your questions. Good luck and hope you health quickly.

• Posted

Thanks, the rash did stop spreading, and in fact is now fading. It sure does feel weird under my arm, where the skin feels numb.....

I only end up with a few blisters, but the bad part is a couple are in the fold under my breast, which is pretty sensitive as you might guess.

I did get Lyrica, but could only get a seven day supply and tomorrow is day seven.. I'm hoping the Dr office will call in a new prescription for me before the expected snow storm hits!

• Posted

Hi - I am recovering from shingles.  Today marks 2 weeks and 3 days I've had this horrible condition.  The pain was excruciating.  Last Tuesday, I remembered a rememedy I had on hand - elderberry juice - which I had frozen last summer.  I drank a few swigs and the effect was amazing.  2 days afterward, ALL pain was gone; a great deal of redness gone; blisters healing nicely.  I gather my own elderberries and 'process' them each summer.  If you don't happen to have elderberry juice on hand, you can buy elderberry tonic at the drug stores.  It is an amazing anti-viral juice!  I am not into 'natural supplements', etc. and have never been into a vitamin store in my life.   I took no other meds for shingles, as most people I know who had the disease and took anti-virals said they were totally ineffective.  I freeze elderberry juice because it's really good for colds and flu.  There's a lot of info. online about elderberries from legitimate sources.  Hope you feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.