Rash tapering off mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm currently on 1.5ml mirtazapine but have come up on a rash.... Is this a known withdrawal does anyone know?! I wouldn't put anything passed this drug anymore! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What sort of rash?

Have you got a picture?

I’ve never heard of drug withdrawal causing a rash.

• Posted

Hi, Dee Dee,

Unfortunately, mirt binds to histamine receptors very strongly at lower doses. That is why it works for sleep at lower doses. For me, I have been proactively taking Benadryl since the start of my d/c. I experienced that with another a/d. I can only say my experience. Benadryl ALLEGEDLY causes drowsiness...i have seen none as I am taking it at night....and so not sleeping. I have HOPEFULLY bypassed the itching. Keep us posted. Stay Strong, we got this!!! XO

• Posted

Dee Dee,

I have found that avoiding hot water...shower, tub is helpful.

• Posted

Hi Gretel:  As Mirtazapine has an antihistamine base, 4 some people, myself included, it causes insomnia big time as we are paradoxical 2 it.  Benadryl is also a antihistamine so that is probably why u r not sleeping.  This is also the reason I had to get off both Mirtazapine and Seroquel as they caused me 2 have major insomnia both on and off them in w/d.  I am still suffering horrendously and I am 19 weeks of Mirtazapine and 11 months off Seroquel.  These drugs get stuck in the fatty tissues and r a horror story 2 get off.  I didn't find that Mirtazapine or Seroquel helped in any way nor did Gabapentin or Zoplicone which I have been off 4 2 years now. 

• Posted

Hey Barbara,

Thanks for the info, i took my benadryl as i was reading. I am going to skip it tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.