Rash turning Black

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 23 year old son has just been diagnosed with shingles.  He has blisters all over his right buttock.  He has had them for about 2 months and he thought they were excma or an allergic reaction to washing powder, but they then turned black and his girlfriend who works in a hospital insisted he saw his GP.  He was diagnosed with shingles and advised to take some time off work as he said he was amazed he had been able to carry on with his condition.

​Its a pretty bad rash but what concerns me is I can find no mention of shingles turning black and want reassurance as his mum that this isnt an indication of something serious like septicemia

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I never heard of them turning black, my dad had them on the right side of his face and in his eye, luckily it didn't harm his eye but he was in a lot of pain. I feel for your son because he had it in a bad place because it would be hard to sit. I hope you find some answers.

• Posted

Dear Fatparker,

When shingles vesicle-blisters scab over, they turn black like a scab. My concern is how is the your son doing and feeling? Did/does he have any pain at the rash site? Itching? Are the symptoms gone?

Does he feel fatigued, exhaustion, malaise?

Please know that the black scabs are normal at this point.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

​My son has been feeling really rough but put it down to giving up smoking and going through withdrawal.  It may be his tiredness has more to do with the shingles.

​Thanks

Jenny

• Posted

Dear Fatparker...

I am glad he is quiting smoking....

Fatigue is a huge symptom of Herpes Zoster-Shingles that most physicians fail to mention. I am sorry your son is so ill.

Best wishes...

Any pain or itching, now?

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.