Rate of iron reduction following venesection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've recently been diagnosed with GH and will be starting venesection soon. As I work in the aviation industry, I've had my medical certificate suspended until my iron levels can be shown to be maintained at a normal level.

Can anyone with experience of this advise how long it might take to get my iron back to normal levels (currently I'm at around 900ug/l and 90% transferrin saturation).

I realise this will depend on various factors, but just a rough idea - 3 months? A year? I am a 40 year old male, in otherwise good health.

Thanks in advance for your help..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

When I was diagnosed at 46 years old, my ferritin level was 2,800.

It took about 2 1/2 years to get my ferritin down to the mid 300's.

I was doing venesections every two weeks for the first 6 months slowing to every month into the first year.

• Posted

Wow, that is longer than I thought!

Thanks for the reply, I hope you are in good health now.

• Edited

Hi

You have very similar figures to mine before I started giving blood: I'll copy my last post here:

"A quick update: I've been on a monthly blood donation (specially organised as a 'Haemochromatosis Donor' to allow monthly donations for five or six months now... I've just had a blood test, and I am down to a good level of Ferritin 39 (was 900 or so), and Trnsferrin sat Index: 45% (was 90%).

So it's taken about 10 or so venesections over 14 months to get down to that level."

As I mentioned, I had words with https://www.blood.co.uk/ and they sorted out allowing monthly donations, which are otherwise at 3 month intervals minimum.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. my iron levels were 2000 and after 3 months of weekly venesections they were back to normal, but people are different and this is just a ballpark figure of my experience, the iron did come down quickly to start with me, but it can also increase for a short while also,so dont be alarmed,just continue with the vene,s and it will stabalise.

This is just my input, nad 3 months would be my guess to answer your question, but there are many more knowledgable people on these boards, Good Luck

• Posted

3-12 months.

Some DR/Consultants will want to rush you in for every week no need at your numbers and health status give every 2 weeks a try see how you feel if all is good after a few of them try weekly. (I advise this due to not every one is the same some people really struggle having a pint removed every week is not an easy task for the body I work and suffer this condition so it gives me a view point a lot of medical professionals do not have)

Depending on your clinics policies they may not do any testing again for a while my clinic it was after 5 treatments and the test can be taken during a treatment anyway you may need to remind them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.