Rather a disappointment

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking pregabalin for about 10 weeks now, for GAd.I was initially on 75mg twice daily, then my psychiatrist upped them to 100mg twice daily.initially, they were great-I felt calmer than I'd done in years, but for the past 2-3 weeks my anxiety seems to be increasing.I'm very restless, can't concentrate and am getting obsessive-eg about health issues.I'm trying to calm myself using meditation but it's very difficult. any advice, please???

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Has you Dr changed the brand of Pregablin from Lyrica to something else?

My problems started when I started on a different brand.

My Gp will not believe me though.

• Posted

Hi

A lot of patients that are put on Pregabalin for Anxiety report that initially it seems to work and then the anxiety comes back double fold. Then they have the problem of coming off this drug which is not easy at all. There are also many nasty side effects reported the higher the dose goes and the longer they are on it. Pregabalin changes the brain chemisty and central nervous system within one week of taking it and the brain/body becomes dependent on it - basically because it takes over various brain functions and reactions. If you decide to come off this drug whatever you do do not go cold turkey - your are at risk of seizures if you do (read the leaflet). Talk to your Doctor about this and say that it is no longer helping you and see what he advises, although if he says to up the dose I would strongly caution you not to. Doctors do not yet seem to understand how difficult it is to taper off Pregabalin and try to take patients off too quickly leading to quite nasty withdrawals (a bit like coming off Heroin only worse). Slowly and carefully is the way and if you at some point need further help on this, please post again and I will do my best to help. You could look at previous posts about side effects and withdrawals which could be helpful in giving you a balanced view before you to decide to either stay on this drug or taper off. After all, it is your choice at the end of the day. There is a very helpful support group on Fb called Lyrica Survivors (closed) Official which you could join where you could read personal stories from other patients about their experiences on this drug - they also have group files containing a wealth of information about natural remedies to aid tapering and in depth information about this drug and the many varied conditions it is now being handed out for. I do hope you are able to make the right decision for yourself and wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thank you! I will certainly not allow the doctor to increase the doses, and will discuss options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.