Raynauds and RA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are well. Just wanted to know if anyone had developed Raynauds Phenomenon due to RA? Any advise for controlling it since my BP is low and am afraid to take Calcium Blockers?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for your post.  I don't have an answer for you, other than to say that I too experience Raynaud's along with RA.  Actually, I have had Raynaud's Syndrome for at least 10 years, while only being diagnosed with RA in the last 2.  My experience with RS has been pretty mild, effecting only the tips of certain fingers, and goes away completely when my RA is well controlled.  It creeps back along with other RA symptoms.  My excellent Rheumatologist has noted it, but has never offered a treatment.  I've never asked for one and didn't know there was a treatment.  I deal with it by trying to be proactive with gloves and hand warmers. Sorry to not be able to offer anything other than to commiserate!  I'd also appreciate any advise from fellow RA patients, thanks.  Take care.

• Posted

Thanks Karen,

Any advise is much appreciated. I recently have gotten diagnosed and according to my last visit with my Rheumy i am stable but no where controlled. I've been taking my meds but to date the Raynard's continues. Can i ask what type of gloves you use? Do you also get it in the hotter seasons? Do you have any other symptoms associated with RA? I ask this because the texture of my hair has completely changed. Its unrecognizable. It is completely dry and lifeless. Don't know if its the methotrexate, menopause or the disease. This truly sucks!

• Posted

Hi . My daughter suffers from Raynauds. But unlike me hasn't been diagnosed with RA. She is thinking it may be connected, as she is a nurse. There is nothing to show she has RA, so she uses 'magnetic gloves' which help circulation and give warmth to the finger joints.

They are really thin gloves with tiny magnets attached. I have had some relief from wearing them too. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Also, we can batter the hell out of meds, but menopose has a lot to answer for the state of our hair !!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

hi chery,

Thank you so much. I will purchase them online. Anything to keep my fingers warm. I even get it when i go in the fridge and it can take several minutes for it to go away. God bless.

• Posted

Your awesome thanks. Can't tell whats hormonal and passing and whats permanent anymore.

• Posted

methotrexate causes hair loss,   I have RA and have had hair loss and also lifeless hair!  It is extremely fine and thinner--always been fine but had enough texture to hold a curl.  I stopped that med as I couldn't tolerate it so hair loss is much less.     I also run a lower blood pressure. but dont have raynaulds.  My son does though.  He wears wool mittens and gloves .  His wife knit them  but I will mention the magnetic gloves.     In my reading I noticed that SSRI drugs (medication for depression) can be helpful for severe cases of reynaulds.    .   It takes time for the right medications to be sorted out for each individual so hopefully they will find what works for you.    Also I take biotin pills as it is supposed to help with hair loss.    

• Posted

Thanks, cherylnanny, for the tip about the magnetic gloves, I'm going to try them.  Nu2this, I mostly experience the RS in the winter, but year round in cold environments like the grocery store and when I am nervous.  It was a relief to find the RS went away when my RA meds kicked in after my diagnosis.  Methotrexate worked well for a year and a half but effected my liver, so I'm now on Leflunomide.  I'm still doing well (very mild joint achiness, slight general malaise), but find my symptoms get a bit worse when I'm run down.  When the Raynauds pops up, I know I need to take it easy.  As far as any special gloves, in cold weather I will wear a good pair of ski mittens and really love reusable hand warmers right inside the mitten. They are a palm-sized gel pack with a metal disc inside;  you click the metal disc and it starts a chemical reaction.  The gel turns to a solid and gets hot.  My hands stay warm even in the coldest weather. The single use ones are ok, but in my opinion the reusable ones get hotter.  And don't get me started about hair...I had to laugh when you mentioned menopause, because I'm always quick to blame everything on the RA, then have to admit my age!  Interestingly enough, even though I was perimenopause when the RA hit, I was then immediately in full-blown menopause.  But about the hair;  I think it's reasonable to think the dryness and hair loss is probably a combination of age and the meds.  I have a lot of hair, so the hair loss hasn't been that noticeable, but it is now so fine and fragile.  Ugh...I just try to use shampoo as infrequently as I can get away with;  in between I'll just rinse it really well and use conditioner.  I hope you are having some success with whatever medication your doctor prescribes, keep us posted.

• Posted

To be honest Karen, i still feel beat up. Not all the time but nights are tough. I am still very tired. I have been on methotrexate for over 2 months now. Don't know when i will feel a difference or if this is it. I can say i feel better than before but not 100%. I would say about 60%. Does this really improve? I really need to go back to work. Thanks for the feedback on the hair. I was thinking about chopping it off or getting extention so that it looks somewhat healthy

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are still feeling bad.  It's particularly hard when you aren't sleeping well.  2 months probably isn't enough time to see the full effect of the med, so give it some more time.  If you are not feeling well enough to work, perhaps you can talk to you doctor about some prednisone;  I was given this at my first appointment with my rheumatologist, even before he made a definitive diagnosis.  He must have been fairly sure and wanted me to feel better.  It made me feel practically normal within 48 hours.  I only took it for a couple of months, but when weaned off of it I seemed to stay near that high level of function.  Hopefully you have a doctor that appreciates it when told that you are still unable to work, that's a big deal.

• Posted

Old post, I know.

I was looking for info on tapering off Enbrel and saw this .

Yes, I recently too started getting Raynauds symptoms in my fingers of one hand.

Ive had RA for seven years. Connected?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.