re: 5th metatarsal bone healing time, recovery and footwear?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there folks!  Well, I've read a few threads on here and it seems everyone can have a thoroughly different experience dealing with a 5th metatursal fracture!  I'll start off by saying I'm not a particularly athletic guy, but I'm in reasonably good shape.  However, I'm in nightlife and am no spring chicken (about to turn 50).  I also had some bad habits that I've curbed (particularly smoking which I finally quit cold turkey 6 weeks ago -- pretty sure this has affected my healing time greatly).  I fractured my 5th metatursal bone on my right foot on the February 24.  I was in a hard cast for 6 weeks and it was removed.  Got xrays before the cast and after it was removed.  I was told by my doctor when it was first removed to not weight bear for two weeks and get another x-ray.  Did that and doc said only partial healing and stay off yet another 2 weeks and get x-ray.  Did that and it was mostly healed with bones fusing nicely, but still a crack. So, once again my doctor says another 2 weeks with no weight bearing and then x-ray to see if healed. Basically (during this close to 3 month healing time) I've had varying amounts of swelling largely due either not being able to consistantly elevate it (sometimes I can't if I'm working for 5 hours at a time), but morevoer when it's damp outside (which has been the case many times this month alone) . I'm about to get x-ray'd again on Wednesday May 25th and feeling the doctor may tell me I'm ready to start weight bear.  My foot has been looking very normal lately and rarely swells much.  However, again, it's been damp lately and it swells during that time.  My question is about what footwear, ideal/cheap/affordable/preferably somewhat cool looking sneaker brand is good to wear once I'm ready to weight bear and should I get a half size up from my normal sneaker size?  I'd like to buy something online in advance of the doctor telling me it's time to weight bear so I have something on the ready.  Also, I've read that you can have reoccuring mild to moderate swelling after a foot injury for up to two years?!  I really hope not because I really would hate not being able to wear my fave shoes.  Then again, at this point, I just relish the idea of simply taking a walk and being able to take the train without worrying about navigating stairs with crutches!  Also, getting of these crutches in general (getting stiff joints and sorry arms).   Any help asap with this stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Doug

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I broke my 5th 4th 3rd and 2nd metatarsal may 27th last year. At first they thought just a Jones fracture but when healed they realised I'd broken 4 bones. I was advised to wear a type of basketball trainer for support and do physiology exercises. I went to a sport shop and they observed my gait and provided me with trainers as I was over pronating. These have helped me a lot as I wear them most if the time.I can walk for over an hour without any pain. I was non weight bearing for 6weeks then air cast boot for 4weeks. I was still using crutches for support and mobility this had an impact on my back neck and shoulders which I am still getting physio for as my body was out of alignment. If you feel this get physio right away and it would help your healing process. Hope you recover soon, my foot just aches a little now and I can now wear flat shoes . 
    • Posted

Thanks Angela for your quick response!  Wow!  How did they not notice you broke those other bones?  I've had several x-rays through this whole process, so that seems odd that they wouldn't have seen this at some point during the healing process?  Also, do you have foot swelling issues at all now?  Did you end up having to get a size or a size and half up from your normal shoe size?  Also, was going to find something online because usually cheapest option.  Perhaps I can try and go to a sports shop and size a sneaker like you mentioned in advance and perhaps buy online to save money?  I guess I was hoping for specific sneaker brands/model numbers also that are best/look decent?  I generally don't wear straight up sports store running walking sneakers -- generally wear vintage stuff or Converse low tops, so this injury affects my sad sense of vanity.  So basically you are saying it took a year before you were able to wear flat shoes?  I actually have a pair of snug vintage Beatle boots that I wear (not exactly flat -- got kind of a Spanish heal)
  • Posted

Hi don't have any swelling now a little ache now and again I do exercises standing on one foot (injured foot) standing on tip toes with injured foot . I have also been diagnosed with osteopenia in my left hip due to bone density . Getting proper trainers definitely helped vanity goes out the window but I didn't care just wanted to get better. It makes a difference when wearing supportive footwear converse are not ideal .hope you recover quickly.
    • Posted

Hi again Angela! Thanks once agsin for responding so quickly! Yeah, wasn't planning to wear my low tops anytime soon! As it is, I'm just going to wait until I get the go ahead from the doc and just go to a decent sports retailer to get fitted for comfortable safe walking sneakers for sure! I still was curious how these other breaks in your foot weren't caught until after you healed?
    • Posted

Hi think it was due to swelling and bruising it wasn't till it was healed they saw other breaks.
  • Posted

I would buy no footwear until you allowed to as you might need a size bigger you will need shoes with good support. I broke mine 40 years ago and broke it again 5weeks ago .I have it in a aircast boot this time they weren't around last time but it healed in 7 weeks last time
    • Posted

Hi Catherine!  Thanks for your response!  Yeah, I plan on waiting to size my feet properly for decent footwear.  Well, it's basically been 3 months so far that I have been on cruthches and not been able to weight bear.  Although, the last x-ray my doctor said I was mostly healed and there was still a little crack.  This was a couple of weeks ago.  Getting my next x-ray in two days and praying that I can start weight bearing and eventually start walking.  This has been real hell.  I didn't have an aircast.  I had an actual hard plaster cast that I couldn't get wet for 6 weeks.  I've been out of the cast for 8 weeks.  Probably keeping my foot in the cast a bit longer might have helped my healing time.  Although, I had been smoking so methinks that may have hindered things.  Dunno.  Doesn't matter at this point.  Bones are healing/fusing apparently now and in the right place (were never displaced actually), so it's just a matter of staying off it until it's fully healed.  

I have never fractured/broken anything in my life previous to this and I'm about to turn 50, so I guess I should count my blessings!  

Putting out quick healing vibes out to you Catherine because trust me I feel your pain.

Thanks again for responding!

• Posted

I don't think healing as quick this time Dr said 6 to 12 weeks this time but maynot heal at all my age won't help and the fact it broke in exact same place last time.It is 5weeks since I seen the Dr. And don't go back for another week. Arecast boot is a nightmare I have to keep it on at night.
    • Posted

I'm sure the airccast is a nightmare.  Are you at least able to take a shower with it on?  To me, that would be the only benefit.  

Catherine, you will heal.  I don't think breaking the bone in the same place makes too much of a difference.  Could the healing process take a longer time?  Perhaps, but perhaps not. If you have other medical issues and health factors that could affect it.  Certainly, the older we are the more time it's going to take in general.  It's just a tough thing to heal in general.  I feel for you because I'm in the same boat -- a bit closer to the finish line, but anything can happen.  Trying to stay postive!

Good luck to you!  You will heal! 

• Posted

Good luck tomorrow hope everything goes well and you are out shopping for shoes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.