Re-calibration of blood pressure monitors?

Posted , 10 users are following.

We bought an upper arm blood pressure monitor for use at home, about 10 years ago.  I've recently read that all monitors should be re-calibrated every two years, but can't seem to find any way to do this.  The company site doesn't seem to have any information.

Do others re-calibrate their monitor?  Is it really necessary when it's for home use?  If so, what is the best way to do it?  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My brother was told this by a chemist but surely there should be a warning that comes with the monitors. It would make you wary about self testing if that is the case. It could be worthwhile contacting the company to know for sure that this is the case.
  • Posted

I purchased a BP monitor 4 months ago - one of the well known, reputable brands.  The instructions clearly state that monitors should be re-calibrated every two years, and the company provide this service.

My GP surgery use the same brand of BP monitors, and I know that they have their monitors re-calibrated regularly.

• Posted

Did you check the cost for the service? When I checked with Omron two years ago it was around £38 including postge.

I bought a new one but comparing the readings on my 14 year old one and the new thare was little if any difference.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies.

I did get in touch with the company, Mollymac, who told me that, as the monitor was clinically validated, it didn't need re-calibrating.  I'm not too sure about this.   However, they then said that if I was concerned about the accuracy and I decided I did want it re-calibrated anyway, it would cost £36.50.  Plus postage of course, as you said, Derek76.   It's interesting that the readings on your old one and new one were very similar.

So, we're now wondering if we would be best to just buy a new one, after all. 

• Posted

I bought my replacement (Omron MIT Elite Plus as it had more features) on eBay for £42. It was new and boxed and from the sellers address I figured out that he was a doctor probably selling a sample.    
  • Posted

I read about the need for re-calibration but took mine to the surgery with me and asked the nurse to check mine against the one she uses.  Practically identical reading, so I saved myself a lot of money and will ask her to check it again in a couple of year's time.
  • Posted

What a good idea, autumn.witch.  I wouldn't have thought of that.  I'll give our surgery a ring tomorrow and see what they say.
    • Posted

I have had mine for five years and always thought it was fine then a friend borrowed it and said mine was too low, really freaked me out as I get white coat syndrome so went and brought a new one and readings were a couple of points out so presume hers is the one that's out not mine.

Mine was checked against Drs beginning of this year and it was fine, just take yours Drs with you and if there about the same then it's fine.

• Posted

I have my monitor checked with the ones at my GP's hypertension clinic every 4 months or so.  It can be really expensive to have them recalibrated and can be cheaper to buy a new one!
  • Posted

yes, gp's get there stuff calibrated every year, normal price for this kind of stuff is usally around £35 to get it done. all though most the times the BPs have always been fine when i have gone to calibrate them over 10-15 years of doing so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.