re-emerging pain in previously broken/bruised rib

Posted , 3 users are following.

around 6 months ago i fell off a bar stool onto my side and pretty badly damaged my rib. I developed a chest infection a few days before so i was pretty much in constant pain from coughing. I went to my GP after a few days to see if there was anything i could do but because there weren't any complications i was told to rest for a few weeks. It healed relatively okay at first except for the fact my rib cage became disfigured. I've had a few colds since then and pretty much every time ive coughed too hard and caused the  same symptoms to re-emerge almost as if i had broken it again. Is this normal in rib injuries and is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening/help with the pain? ( i cant take painkillers because i have migraines and paracetamol can be an instigator for migraines)

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did you have x-ray when you first injured your ribs
    • Posted

no, apparently bruised/broken ribs have the same healing process and it would be a waste of time unless there were complications
    • Posted

Your right but I'm thinking you should get checked out by your GP to make sure you haven't punctured your lung, I only say this because you said you keep getting coughs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.