Re - hip fracture

Posted , 11 users are following.

Today I met with my doctor to discuss the game plan for my surgery on Wednesday May 11th. He showed me the fracture bone of right side of top portion of the stem suggesting that he will do the following: replace the stem, and attaché a lateral temporary plate to the fracture side. Now here is the tricky part; the shell, liner and socket are in good shape. Since he is going in, should he replace the entire top components with new updated version despite they are in good shape? Or just leave them the way they are and take the risk of having another surgery down the road which potentially might take place since theese components are 19 years old. He is undecided and he want my permission to replace the healthy old top part of the prosthesis.

The question is; wouldn't be wise to replace everything with up to date version of cup, shell, and liner? Or keep them and take the risk for a near future surgery?

your thoughts will definitely help

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi beck, 

I echo previous posts .... seems very sensible to get every part replaced ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

19 years is a long time, and you must be so pleased with the length of time, however I would get the whole thing done all in one go too, really wouldn't want to have to go through it twice...especially if the time span between ends up being really short....you will be kicking yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.