re-hip opp

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, well i'm 5 hours post opp, I feel great, just had a great meal, some slow acting pain relief, the nurses aregreat so's the hospital 5*, they will get me up tomorrow, and I had a spinal block , don't remember a thing , very pleased 

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne

Great to hear that you came through it well.....I had spinal blocks for my 2 THR's  I thought they were great.....much better than a general anaesthetic

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I'm a bit of a newbie, after having just started a thread re hip OA.  Just read your latest, and am pleased that op has been successful.  Can you tell me, was it a hip replacement?

• Posted

8 days on from yourpost.  How are you now?  I will be having my hip re-placed on Dec 17th and in recent weeks have become so inconvenienced by the pain and limp that I am looking forward to having it sorted.  It was very re-assuring to read your post.  I am told there are many do's and dont's immediately following the operation and wonder how long before you can resume light tasks about the house.
    • Posted

Hi

Are you in the UK.....there are slightly different rrules and regs here as to USA

Here its 6 weeks after the op. Its what they call the 90 degree rule

If you are sitting on a chair, you are not supposed to bend forward to even pick up a coffee cupeek the table should be the same height.

You have to turn....not swivel like we normally do, its about  different movements to turn around.

Not insured to drive until you see your consultant after 6 weeks and get the all clear.....Possibly if your appointment is later than that you might get permission.....but 6 weeks minimum not driving.

Sleep on your back for 6 weeks.

It sounds awful but it goes over....I've had 2 thr'swink

You should go to a group physio class before the operation and they give you a list of do's and donts.

Keep us up to date.....remind us before you go in.....or me anyway....got a memory like a goldfish cheesygrin

Love

Eileen    UK

• Posted

Thank-you for your replly.  Yes, I in the UK.  I go for the pre op pre-med and physio briefing on Dec 8th.  6 weeks does  sound like a long time.  I am the carer for my much older husband(89) and I dont think he will be able to cope with me flat out for more than a week.  We do have family and friends nearby so it will be a case of organisation and buying in ready-made meals.  Lots of that kind of thing available.

Apart from my hip I am quite mobile.  I will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi

That is going to be hard......an 89 year old husband that needs you as a carer.frown  6 weeks will be a long time in that situation.

Would your husband go into respite for a while to give you time to recover?

Yes....buy in ready made meals, make sure before you go in that anything you need is witin reach.....you dont have to bend to get it or stretch to get it...thats hard. Dont forget you'll have 2 crutches or sticks for a while.....it will be difficult to make meals.....even ones that you pop in the microwave......at first.

Are you in the UK?   I got a trolly along with all the other stuff like raised toilet seats, grabbers,  long shoe horns, {cant bend to put your shoes on and you need the grabber to pull up trousers ...once again you cant bend to do that}

Anyway back to the trolly .....I asked for one {wasnt offered one but had heard of a friend who had got one} It was excellent.....my first THR my husband was working. He left me flasks and sandwiches and things like that but if anyone came in for coffee it made me feel a bit more independent to be able to make them a cup of coffee.

Trolly in a corner of the room, walk over and prop crutches up and use the trolly in place of crutchs and push it to the kitchen, make a cup of coffee or whatever {microwave meal} put it on the trolly, push it back and set the coffee on the table or wherever you want it. Push empty trolly to where you left the crtuches and leave it there and off you go to your seat with the crutches LOL

I know it sounds long but its not really.....just explaining it is longwindedbiggrin

Think seriously about seeing if your husband would consider respite for a short time.

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Thank-you Eileeen.  Your advice sounds v.helpful.  I know the trolleys.  My mother had one in the last years of her life.  

A group of us have a presentation at the hospital next Monday so now I know what tolook out for.

My husband is incredibly fit for 89 but he does get tired.  Yes, respite is available in the form of a stay at St Dunstan's Hotel in Brighton which provides dawn to dusk care for Blind Veterans.  We have spent a week there and he looks forward to going back for future visits.  

thank-you again

Love, Ann

• Posted

Hi Ann

Glad to help, hope it works and you get a trolly.

Thats sounds good about the respitewink

Let us know how things go

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Pleased to hear you are feeling so good 5 hours post opp.  Good luck with healing and getting back to normal (without pain)!
  • Posted

I attended 'Joint School' on Dec 8 in preparation for my hip replacement operation on Dec 17th.  I now feel re-assured about post-operation progress.

what was most interesting were the pre-operation exercises.  These are done reclining on your bed and concern all the leg muscles that help hold the joint in place.  The exercises have relieved the pain in my hip!!  In the past I have been given exercises by a chiropractor, NHS physios, a private physio, Pilates and T'ai Chi.  None of which were as effective in pain relief as these gentle exercises done lying on my bed!!

I am now confident of a speedy recovery.

I hope this is of help to other sufferers.

Ann

• Posted

That sounds interesting.  Can you describe these exercises.  I am a great one for trying to maintain full movement in my joints, as much as possible.  I have my own routine, which I hope is helping rather than hindering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.