re- lump in throat

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, I have been feeling like there's something stuck in the back of my throat for about a week now, also my ears feel blocked like a pounding sensation in them, my Dr looked and said there was no infection in either my throat or ears but gave me beconase nasal spray which has made no difference, the ear thing comes and goes, I have slight high BP ie, around 145/70 I take 10mg of amlodipine daily, and to fully explain everything, I am (or was) a very active love life 63 year old woman, but for the last year I have been housebound because of severe osteoarthritis in both hips I have been taking naproxen and tramadol like they were sweeties, but I have now stopped all pain meds because I could no longer put up with the side effects, like over posts I have read on here, I have nothing but time to sit here and worry about cancer of the throat! I realise I'm stressed but this wweird feeling in my throat and ears is driving me crazy, so glad I found this site, any advice would be welcome.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne,  Sorry to hear you are a problem with your throat.  Can I ask how long you have been on Amlodipine.  I have been on it for around 7 years but only 5mg.  If you look under the forum for Amlodipine you will see what people say about it.  The side effects do affect some patients.  Have a look and let us know what you think.  I have or I think I have silent reflux and think this might have started after taking this drug.  My symptoms are excess mucous in throat and nasal congestion and sneezing sometimes ears like they are blocked as you mention.  Like you I have arthritis knees back and neck and I can only take paracetamol.  Is it long since you stopped your pain meds. This could be a factor if it was recent.  Let us know what you think.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your comments, I have been on amlodipine for 4 months, I stopped my pain meds around a week ago, my tummy feels bloated, and my bowel movements are iratic, I have no pain , but I do have lots of gas, I also take 10 micro gram thyroxine a day for under active thyroid
    • Posted

Hi Lynne  I see you took naproxen I could not take ibuprofen because it upsets my IBS.  I did however use ibuprofen gel for around 3 weeks but stopped because it was too large an area on my knee and leg and thought it might cause a problem.  Thankfully at the moment my knees are not too bad but I too dread them getting bad again and needing surgery.  I also take thyroxine 125mg a day for well over 20 years.  I'm not a doctor but maybe your problems are to do with coming off the pain killers.  Have a look at Amlodipine as well.  It is hard having different things wrong with you and trying to balance medication and side effects.  Oh to be young again, only joking then I would not have my beautiful grandchildren.  All the best to you.
    • Posted

Hi libralady 13

Thanks for your comments, I too have grandchildren but they are in TO , anyway I have been on the amlodipine forum and it seems people are just stopping taking it without consulting a Dr. But they feel better,so I will try halfin the dose and go see my Dr next week,

Feel better soon,

Good health to you

• Posted

Hi Lynne,  I would not stop the amlodipine without first seeing your doctor.

I would not want your blood pressure to suddenly rise and make you ill. Explain what you have found out and see if they will agree to half the dose or prescribe an alternative tablet.  Mostly I have found that doctors don't think that they cause side effects except for ankle swelling.  I have not changed or stopped mine as yet but my doctor is considering it.  I will ask when I next see her.  If you read my first post you will see why I think the amlodipine has caused a mild problem which has got worse although I can't say for sure.  By the way where are you when you your grandchildren are in T O?  Good luck let me know how it goes.  

• Posted

Hi again,

That was a typo it was meant to be TN lol I am in Scotland at, but my family are in TN, I will be following your progress, I'm so glad I found this site,

Love Lynne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.