Re-occurance

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Glad that I am not the only one suffering with this (though I seem to have a mild version of it).

I was first diognosed with pityriasis last year and told that there was no specific cure and that it would not re-occur.

However almost exactly a year later it has broken out again! had all the same symptoms; feeling groggy, bit sickly etc then the herald patch appeared (mine looks identical to ring worm) and now my back is covered! javascript:emoticon('sad')

As this is only my second outbreak I can not offer you any solutions to help with the symptoms or the rash. I just wanted to add another comment to the list for anyone els who is suffferine and wondering if a re-occurance is usual.

Hope all is well (soon at least)

xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was surprised to discover I was having a 2nd round of this, too! I think it was 2 or 3 years ago when I had the first, and thought I'd never get it again (per 'net and doctors), and didn't worry much after it left.

So, I discovered the herald patch a week ago, thought at first I had skin cancer, then it dawned on me: Oh no... By some accounts we are the 2 percent of people that get it multiple times.

Both times, not much itching, but I think I do remember feeling somewhat sickly last week. Mostly it's alarming to see whilst changing clothes. Go away, ugly spotty redness! Also, days ago almost had a cold sore pop out on my lip, which never happens.

I am seeing an acupuncturist tomorrow, will let us know how it goes. It might take days or weeks to see any effect.

• Posted

Well, it's been one week since my first acupuncture treatment (needles only, no herbs). Two weeks since the appearance of the herald patch. I feel great, and the rash and patch are pretty much completely gone.

Initially (2 or 3 days after first treatment), it all got a little worse, spreading down my arms a bit, and more on my trunk. About 5 days after the treatment I noticed that everything was subsiding, flattening out, less red, etc.

I'm excited to get another treatment today, but honestly think it will be totally cleared up w/in 2 days regardless. For any doubters: it was a skin problem that made me see an acupuncturist for the first time 15 years ago (chronic acne on jaw/neck that has never returned). It can't \"cure\" every physical problem, of course, but worth a try. Sorry, I don't know how prevalent or good acupuncture may be in the U.K.

• Posted

:cry:

Please do not let this be round two - I had pityriasis last year and went to the doctor who was amazed and had to get the student doctor in to see if she could 'guess' what I had....

Anyway - I've found what might be a herald patch again, a dry circular patch about 2 inches from where it was the last time - please god don't let it be round two. It's just soooo frustrating as the doctor wouldn't give me anything and I had it for about 2-3 months, fortunatetly it never went further than the bottom of my neck, but it's horrible! I've just quit smoking as well so you would think my immune system would be better. I don't think I can handle this AGAIN.

Any tips??!

• Posted

I've had it twice in 18m. Very depressing! It was no better or worse but it definitely lasted longer first time round. :x
  • Posted

I am a 35 year old female. When I was 19 I discovered a herald patch on my torso and then developed what I am now convinced was P.R. At the time I was given blood tests etc and a steriod cream which I believe helped a little. Over the years I have had the odd outbreak but nothing severe. About a month ago I had a really bad outbreak which I knew would not be healed by the small tube of cream I had - anyway to cut a long story short I came across this forum and I tried washing in the head and shoulders, I also applied sudocrem (nappy rash cream). This I feel has really helped and it has almost disappeared. I have decided to undertake a short course of sunbeds ( something I don't normally do - but I know that as I also suffered from severe excema as a child that the sun can do wonders). I also believe that this is an underlying condition that as triggered when people are either run down or stressed. I think the key is to dry it out and then the rash flattens and eventually fades. Many others have mentioned cold sores funnily enough I have just developed one perhaps the two are connected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.