Re Rash post 2nd B12 injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi kind people - B12 & a rash?

wonder if you could help?

my friend, a young PhD student's b12 was 276 mmols.

she was commenced on b12 injection whilst in India last week whilst doing her field work. she's on 0.5 of a mls of HydroxyC on alternate days x 6 weeks.

this week she self injected - i.e. yesterday - however, she came out in a small rash over night.

the rash is itchy.

she sent me a picture of same but it's difficult to see it properly.

the rash is between her thighs i.e. the left thigh, not near the injection sites.

alternate thighs were used for injection.

I'm an ex Nurse, who also had to self-inject as the NHS wouldn't do it despite progressing neurological symptoms.

my friend  doesn't want to ask the NHS re the rash as there's a long waiting list to be seen & also they refused to give her injections even-though she was markedly symptomatic, hence getting started in India.

with gratitude in anticipation.

Caitlin.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

B12 Side effects

The pimples/acne, is likely to be caused by microbes on your skin reacting to the additional B12 by producing substances that your skin is then reacting to. In theory this could be resolved by use of a good skin wash. You might have better luck talking to your pharmacist and seeing what they can recommend prior to your next maintenance shot - though there is always a chance that it was something that won't recur.

Hydroxocobalamin (mild) Side Effects

You may develop an acne-like skin rash within 1 to 4 weeks after you are treated with hydroxocobalamin. This rash should go away without treatment. Call your doctor if you have a rash that lasts longer than 4 weeks.

Common side effects may include:

nausea;

headache;

acne, skin rash or redness;

red coloring of your urine (may last 2 to 5 weeks); or

pain, swelling, or irritation of your skin where the injection was given.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.