Re-started Citalopram - side effects?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everybody,

I was on Citalopram for a few years and came off them about 3-4 months ago and started back about 2 1/2 months ago, on original dose 10 mgs. The withdrawal was too much too bear.

My anxiety is still bad with the all symptoms so many people on here have. Should it really be taking this long for my system to get used to them again? I had my bloods done and results yesterday were fine.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks for reading.?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I was exactly the same but I came off them for 9 months but I came off them very slowly and managed well but eventually the anxiety came back. I’ve had to go up to 30 mg but I’m about sixteen weeks on from starting on 10mg for two weeks then 20mg for 12 weeks and then going up to 30mg. I am now starting to feel better, a bit like I was before when I was just on the 10mg but it’s been a slow progress, I’ve had my ups and downs and the progress has been very gradual. I have now had four days in a row anxiety free but I know there’ll be still the occasional difficult days but at least I’m getting there. I think you will too but it’s just going to take time to settle back into your system. Hang on in there.x
    • Posted

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for responding to my post. It seems I sent two because I didn't think the first one had worked lol.

Sounds like it's been a long road for you but at least you seem to be getting there.

I get good and bad days, depends if anything sets it off. The hot weather is definitely not helping.

I guess if I am still getting anxiety then I am still going to get the side effects of the tablets because they haven't fully kicked in, which in my mind makes me think there is still a way to go yet. I don't know if that makes sense!!

Hope you continue to make progress.

?

• Posted

That does make sense, it does take a while for the side effects to subside but I found that the side effects going tied in with me having less anxiety, so therefore the medication was starting to work again.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.