ReA triggered from a spinal injection?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had back pain most of my life from lifting weights, 4 bulging discs / 1 herniated disc. Recently I've pursued treatment beginning with a medial branch block injection. Post injection 2 weeks I had an onset of crazy pains through my fingers, wrists, feet/heels, and ankles, occasionally the knees and flashes of it through my elbows. Has anyone heard of such an event triggering an arthritis or just coincidental? I'm guessing my body found it traumatic? I've had 3 sets of bloodwork completed and was positive for the HLA-B27 gene, no pain markers were elevated for sed rate, r-factor, c-reative protein was low. Currently improving my diet which was already very clean.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can see that an immune reaction might be triggered in such a case. Take a look at Septic Arthritis. Reactive Arthritis has a different cause: bacterial infections in the digestive or genitourinary tracts, and it has a unilateral rather than symmetrical pattern for affected joints. Best of luck to you in resolving your pain.

• Posted

Briefly read the notes on Septic ReA, I really have no swelling or much redness and I'm creeping up on nearly 4 months of these pains, could an infection hang around that long? I sorta wish the rheumy would of tried antibiotics instead of just giving me another nsaid...

• Posted

joint capsules are poorly vascularized, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear of an infection dragging on like that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.