Reaction to contraceptives?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had GA for 2 years now but was only diagnosed today, It appeared a short time after a skin reaction- Erythema Nodosum. This was brought on by Rigivedon, the contraceptive pill. Has anyone else experienced GA as a consequence of contraceptives? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting that the contraceptive pill has caused your GA. I was on the pill for years and years taking a very high estrogen dose pill that has caused adanomas (lesions) on my liver. I personally made a possible connection between the liver adanomas and GA (no doctor has confirmed this). However I hadn't made the connection between the contraceptive pill and GA. I haven't taken the pill for approx. 3-4 years now and still the GA continues to increase! Fortunately the liver adanomas are reducing in size as I'm not keen to undergo surgery. I'm hopeful that with the reduction in the size of the liver adanomas the GA will also eventually subside. I'd be interested to know if it was a doctor who diagnosed that your GA was brought on by the pill or your own diagnosis? Is Rigivedon a high estrogen dose pill?
    • Posted

Hi there! The doctor diagnosed the Erythema Nodosum prior to the GA as a reaction to the Rigivedon (which is a combined pill but i believe is still high in oestrogen). After the diagnosis I came straight off the pill and was given the Nexplanon contraceptive implant as an alternative, which is Progestogen only. However, that was 2 years ago and the GA continues- having only recently been properly diagnosed with no cause. I am wondering if the nexplanon implant still plays a part in all this due to a potential hormone imbalance? 

Interesting that you mention the adanomas. Before a GA diagnosis the doctors pondered on the possibility of Sarcoidosis in my lungs- swollen lumps of tissue- as a connection. Having said that this was ruled out following normal results from a CT scan. 

• Posted

More similarity ..... I stopped taking the combined contraceptive pill 3-4 years ago due to uncontrollable and unexplained heavy bleeding. It was recommended that I have a Mirena IUD for contraception and also to reduce bleeding. This IUD releases small amounts of progesterone which sounds similar to the Nexplanon implant that you have. 

Ive lost track of how long I've had GA but it must be 10 years - it started with a large circle on my lower back (which the doctor said would go away) and has now increased to multiple spots on my torso, legs and arms.  I'm now wondering if both the GA and liver lesions are all linked back to the contraceptive pill (high estrogen dose) and now possibly not helped by the IUD (and progesterone).  I'm not far away from menopause so then I will no longer require the IUD.

It would be interesting to know if there has been any research done on the connection between the contraceptive pill and GA? Medicos don't seem terribly interested in GA as its not life threatening.

• Posted

I haven't found anything online so far to make a connection between the 2 but i definitely think this may be the root of it. I never had any medical issues at all until i started taking contraceptives. My GA began after my erythema nodosum left a small patch on my foot which has led to other small circles on my feet and up my legs. It hasnt shown any recent changes. I think maybe generally my immune system may be affected/weakened by contraceptives which may have triggered this?

I will keep you posted if i find any research on the connection!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.