reaction to steroid cream

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone using a steroid cream for LS  and had a reaction to it? I'm starting to get very red and sore. I will not use for a few days and contact the doctor's office, but wondering how typical this might be.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I had a reaction to steroid cream I was using for vulvodynia. I used it for 6 weeks and it seemed to be helping. I stopped using it because the leaflet said not to use for more than 6 weeks. However, following a smear tests (speculum) my pain got worse so I started the steroid cream again but this time it stung me terribly and made me much worse. Doing a bit of research I found that long term use of steroid cream can make you sensitve to it and it can cause an adverse reaction. Steroid cream can also thin the skin and I didn’t want that down there.
    • Posted

I brought that up to the doc at my last appt. That's when she said it is helpful to problem skin and a problem to healthy skin or some such thing. Six weeks ago she did a fast exam and said everything was coming along nicely and to continue. I wouldn't say my skin is now healthy, but it doesn't want the steroid any more if it has suddenly become so sore. 

Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Starting to think the same way about my cream , sometimes burns other time not so much

• Posted

My reaction wasn't at all subtle which was odd. With the hormone cream there was slight burning that intensified. With the steroid cream there was a sudden and extreme reaction of soreness and redness. You might want to run it by your doc.

• Posted

I am using the estradiol cream twice a week now instead of nightly. My gyn is on vacation so I haven't spoken with her. I had the reaction to the steroid just a couple of days ago. I did speak with the call nurse, told her I was going to stop using it and she agreed. Either my doctor will contact me when she returns or more likely she'll have a nurse call me if there's anything else I should be doing. I have decided on my own to use the olive oil as a moisturizer if I feel dry. I already use the chilled coconut oil as a vaginal suppository overnight and that melts everywhere.

What is burning you...the steroid or hormone cream? You should definitely let your doctor know what is happening though. Now that I am using the hormone cream only twice a week the burning has stopped.

My reactions to both were very strong and sudden. I assume my body was saying enough!

• Posted

,Bev no hormones yet , I know this is frustrating I'm using yeast, steroid cream but redness not going away, coconut oil made me worse was thinking about trying Olive oil also, my husband bought kiss my face Olive oil soap but been using on my body ( not down there) I had been on antibiotics so then followed yeast infection treatment with difucan but outer area never clears, red dry around entrence .

• Posted

yolanda, Are you saying you are using steroid cream for the redness or it is causing the redness? What do you mean you are using yeast...an anti yeast medication? Has the doctor told you you have a yeast infection?

Why were you in antibiotics? You may have explained all this on another thread, but I can't remember the details. Have you been diagnosed with LS?

• Posted

Sorry to confuse you, I had he said an infection put me on antibiotics, then got yeast put me on Difucan and a clotamadozil, bethasone cream( wrong spelling I'm sure) for outer area. Seen a Dermatologist but didn't mention LS just thought it was Dermatitis from Replens or soap so haven't used Replens at all ND just been doing Epson Bath for now

• Posted

How long have you been using the steroid cream? I'm wondering if the typical method is for doctors to have a patient use it until they can't tolerate it. Maybe my LS isn't as severe as the doc thought or if I simply can't tolerate using it for months. I'm happy to stop using it. It made me a bit nervous.

• Posted

I understand, used it for 2 weeks, it worked then derm gave me a different one when it returned, then now gyno has me using again cause it returned and back to see him in 2 weeks , always something
    • Posted

Bev please let me know how the Olive oil feels better to you
    • Posted

yolanda, I haven't felt particularly dry or uncomfortable. Used the OO twice. It was fine. Probably no different than using the coconut oil.

I don't have the pain and discomfort that so many women report having, I only saw the gyn because of a vague itch that came & went. I assumed I needed flagyl as it worked very well for me in the past, though  it's been 20 years since I had needed it. 

Are you old enough to have AV? Everyone seems to experience a different set of problems and they react differently to meds or remedies. Had I not gone to see the doc about what to me felt like an infection I would never have known about the LS. I knew I had AV, but I was not having any problematic symptoms.

Now I'm still not sure about the infection. Flagyl seemed to cure it, but I do feel a mild itch at times. I'm am using women's probiotics for it. Western medicine's answer to everything is a drug, a hormone, even lasers, etc. If I can possibly use something natural that would help I would much prefer it. I'm just feeling my way like everyone else.

• Posted

Sounds like you first need to find out what exactly you have going on re your skin. Maybe lack of estrogen isn't causing it. If you can avoid underwear and wear loose clothing, dresses & skirts if possible. I'm sure your dermatologist has told you to use fragrance free detergents, no perfumy dryer sheets, etc. I would follow what suki is doing as she is sensitive to a lot of things.

I always find stress is the worse thing in terms of aggravating skin & vaginal conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.