Reaction to whisky: Instant sweating & anxiety!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a very instant reaction to some whisky I drank whilst out in the pub yesterday, I really cannot explain it so would be appreciated if someone could advise.

I had arrived at the pub feeling in good spirits, maybe some underlying social anxiety but overall feeling comfortable and at ease. I then took a few swigs of a whisky on ice, and in a matter of about 30 seconds I could feel my face flushed, sweat on my forehead and my nose.

Initially I didn’t think much of it, thinking I was just a bit flushed, then I excused myself to the bathroom and noticed sweat was running down my face, my nose was completely wet and it was a lot more than a hot flush.

As a bit of background, I do tend to sweat a lot generally which I have linked to my hypoglycaemia (trigger sweating if I am too high / low in blood sugar). In this case, I didn’t feel low in energy, and I felt a lot better after drinking a pint of water, which would usually make my blood sugar go even lower. I just found it bizarre how quickly I reacted to the whisky so wondering if there’s another reason my body reacted the way it did.

Any advise appreciated!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Sounds like you had a empty stomach. Alcohol can do exactly what you described when there is no food to absorb the straight alcohol. The stomach reacts violently when no food is there to help absorb the alcohol. Its whiskey and extremely strong for a empty stomach. Remember to eat a meal before drinking next time.

• Posted

Update - *Problem solved

What seems to be happening is alcohol is triggering severe inflamation in my gut and stomach.

It sometimes takes DAYS to get back to a state of normality.

Any alcohol seems to trigger me, so for now I will try eliminating this from my diet.

I'm not a particularly heavy drinker so its not a big adjustment for me, mostly its just good to know as when inflamation strikes it can be very uncomfortable, especially if you are around friends.

Thanks all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.