reactions from carpal tunnel surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Two months after carpal tunnel surgery I still have numb fingers and a very uncomfortable feeling of sugar or coarse sand between my fingers. I do exercises for the numbness. What can I do about the gritty feeling?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Patricia!

Speaking for myself, it can be a real challenge for one's patience. My surgeon said: "the time you'll have problems corresponds to the time your median nerve was compressed. And if it has been compressed severly that will also affect the healing.

It's 2018 now and I can't remember if it was in march 2013 or 2014 I had the operation. But I do remember in June the same year I was kind of desperate. If I had known I would had changed my activities a

• Posted

bit, and do more normal day-to-day activities with my hand straight away, a couple of days after the operation - even with that hard thing on my hand. But above all, perhaps I should have gone back to adjust the hard thing a bit. Even if the hard thing didn't make my fingers totally numb.

So advice: use the hand even more!

Even nowadays I can experience hand problems. It comes after doing stupid things. I've had two bad backlashes, but rested the hand then for several weeks. In general, I'm 90-95% back to what I was.

Be patient or consult the doctor if the numbness continues.

Good Luck, Patricia!

• Posted

Interesting to me that your doctor told you the SAME thing as my doctor did....the length of time the nerve was compressed determines how long or how fast you'll get your feeling back.  There was a doctor on this site that said there was NO correlation to time of compression for length of time to get feeling back.  I didn't argue with him, pointless.  But I just know what my own doctor told me and that it could be up to a year to get all of my feeling back.  It's now been 3 months and I have MOST of my feeling back, with a numb spot here and there.  But very pleased with the progress.  It can be frustrating to people because we all want relief from that terrible numbness and tingling....it just takes time...and patience.

• Posted

Thanks

The gritty feeling between my fingers is extremely uncomfortable and affects my emotions.

• Posted

Thanks.

I'd like to be able to do something to help get rid of the so uncomfortable gritty feeling between my fingers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.