Reactivated Mono

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can someone please help me understand why the reactivated mono is so much worse? I had mono in high school and slept for two weeks and that was literally it and was completely fine after, no relapse etc.

I get that I'm now 41 Vs 16 but the amount of recovery time (3 months in now) is significantly different, and symptoms! I just wish there was something we could all take to get rid of this disgusting virus. Or at least some kind of guidance/protocol (besides rest and fluids) from Dr. It's absolutely agonizing. No idea it would be this bad.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Meredith I know exactly what you mean,im 59 and haven't had the sore throat or glands but everything else has been horrendous,such a brutal virus,i never imagined it to be like this,im taking a natural herbal thing called olive leaf extract to try and clobber it plus lots of vitamins,youd think that in this day and age there would be something they could give us,i don't think the doctors realise just how awful it can be,hope you see some improvement soon Meredith  

• Posted

I have no clue....maybe it is an age thing. I am pretty sure the current bout of mono I am dealing with is a recurrence. Well it kind of has to be? If this is my first time I have no clue how I got it. I was sick when I was 18 for a few weeks and it was bad but got over it. I think that might have been my first time. This time I am 52 and going on 7 weeks of hell. 
  • Posted

Oh goodness Meredith wish I had the answers, it seems there is no logic or rhyme or reason how this thing seems to act sometimes. I definitely think there is something in the fact, for some anyway, that if you get it when you are a child or teenager then it is easier to overcome than for an adult (but I know that is not the case for everyone). Just want to reassure you that what you're going through now is a more normal course for the virus as an adult, and just to remind you that this does go away - even if it takes a little bit of time still, it does go away completely and your health does return, I was so so frustrated and depressed and anxious when I had it, though things would never improve but after a year I was so much better and well on the way to a full recovery.

Thinking of you and wish there was a magic cure too - vitamins and herbs prob the best thing to keep taking for now.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.