Reactivating

Posted , 3 users are following.

If I think my mono has reactivated from 8 months ago,  What do I ask the doctors to check for in my blood work. I know many of them think it's a one time deal only.'

Thx!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

r-Ask for “EBNA”. That one checks if you had EBV in the past. Of course that will be positive. We (almost) all have been exposed or have had EBV and developed the nuclear antibodies (NA above). Then ask for the “Early Antigen IgG”. That one tells you if have an active case of EBV or a very recent one. (Ie. You have it!!)

My doctor did both. My EBNA was 220. Higher that 20 is positive. My Early Antigen IgG was 44. Higher than 10 is positive.  

Don’t let any doctor talk you out of these two tests. Obviously the Early Antigen IgG is the most important. Don’t let them pay you on the head and do what they want! My endo shook his head like he’d seen my labs before and told me it showed nothing out of the ordinary. Idiot. At least we learn who to trust in the medical community. 

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. 

Melissa-

• Posted

Hi ro5,

It's wise to ask for another blood test for sure, I'm not really a medical expert or anything but they can tell I think if the EBV levels are higher again, it happened with me one time but things settled down quickly again so don't panic that you have to go through anything like what you did at the start even if it did show higher again.

Hang in there and thinking about you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.