Reactive arthritis. Anyone have reiter syndrome.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone , have had some great help on this forum. I was asking people about reactive arthritis because i have had bowel disease. i have discovered something called reiter syndrome which describes my symptoms so much, painful urination and bladder, but no UTI. Eye problems, which i have had recently, and painful joints, i have chills , pins and needles too. anyone relate to this, or got it? Would love to hear from you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

have you gotten tested or treated for that specific infection?

• Posted

I yes. iwas in hospital for 2 weeks. thats what led to having an abscess in my bowel and 2 subsequent bowel surgeries. i had earlier that same year had a very nasty urinary tract infection that came back. It was treated though. I had a good gp. The bowel infection i had ( diverticulitis) actually caused my bowel to rupture, that was late 2017, and i never felt well after i came out of hospital, always felt ill, chills, feeling generally awful, then i developed a pain in my back and blladder. long story short, i went back to the gastro and demanded further investigations. 3 colonoscopies later, one done by my wonderful,surgeon who was able to complete it, and i had my answer. a huge abscess the size of an orange, stick to my bladder and various other things. Hence the surgeries. I shoukd be feeling great by now. The surgeries were successful, but i have this other stuff now, and when i read about the reiter syndrome, i thought this seems so much like what i feel like. Its 100 degrees this week where i live and im walking around with a cardigan! I am constantly freezing. sorry to ramble, but something isnt right, my gp is on holiday and i feel lost, i dont know who to turn to. i have made an appointment with my surgeon, but thats not until april. He is wonderful, if he cant help me he can point me in the right direction.

• Posted

again i am very sorry for all of your suffering. this isn't easy to deal with. iv'e been sick for many yrs. I know how very desperate one can be trying to figure out something so complicated as the immune system. I don't know if you have tried anything natural like tumeric ,bromelain or black cumin oil. I Am not a doctor and i don't know exactly whats going on in your body. i do know that some supplemments can help with inflammation. I was totally clueless back when i got treated for that infection. doctors don't really have any answers. all they can do is treat you for the infection, give you some steriods /prednisone for your inflammation and send you on your way. you should definitely ask to get tested for the gene. at least you won't be in the dark about why you're having these symptoms. i was also treated with sulfasulazine. didn't do much for me though. everyone's body works different.

• Posted

yes. i have a rheumatologist. i have developed osteo arthitis in my knees bc of all the damage done from the reactive arthritis. i just had a knee replacement. so i also have an orthopedic. i never really got the gastro problems or the uvitis. i do have the ankylosing spondylitis. its all auto immune. starting with the infection in the gut. i remember extreme pain in my lower back when i started having symptoms and i did get a UTI also. how long have you had these symptoms?

• Posted

Since the first bad UTI but at same time i had bowel inflammation. Feeling feverish, chills etc but no temp and blood tests normal. But i didn't have tingling and numbness in legs and feet then. I had them after bowel surgeries. My ferritin was very low and i had an infusion, but now all levels look normal, but goodness knows if they are. Doctors always go by blood tests, but while i had a massive abscess my blood tests were fine! It was only after my bowel ruptured that my blood tests were abnormal. So i just don't trust them any more. You've probably told me already, but what was your gastro problem. And thank you for the replies. I'm at a very low ebb atm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.