Reactive arthritis - just now developed

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello,

I have been reading the stories of reactive arthritis and i thought that i would share mine. It all started 3 1/2 years ago with urethritis and all the classic symptoms that go with an STD after a one night stand. I went in to urgent care 3 different times over many months and was treated with azithromycin (1g oral) and ceftazidime (injections). Each time the tests for GC would be negative and the same symptoms would return within about 2 weeks. 

I lived with this for many months until i went to my primary physician. He said that because the tests for STDs were negative that I needed to go to a urologist. So i made an appointment for the urologist. I go to the urologist and tell her my story. She orders many lab tests over many different visits, UA/UC, GC, CBC, ESR, CRP, mycoplasma, lymes, etc. to all of which came back negative.  

I was put on Bacterim for a month, that didnt provide any results. I was put on Doxycycline for a month, that did nothing. She insisted that i see a different urologist.

I go to the other urologist and was told that there is nothing wrong with me and that the symptoms are all in my head. He said that if there is something there, there is not a test for it and we cannot treat for it and that throwing different antibiotics at it was not the way to treat me. I was very upset about this becasue i have been getting the 'its all  in your head' line from 2 other doctors. But they dont know how it feels.

So now it has been over three years of living with the constant urethrits symptoms (urgency, drainage, constant wet feeling, prickly, uncomfortable) which has made my life aweful. I figure that i will have to live like this for the rest of my life, increasing depression and diminishing thoughts of having a normal social and personal relationships.

About three months ago, i started to develop early morning back pain. I was waking up 2-3 in the am and unable to lay down any longer. I would  get up and sleep sitting up on the couch or chair. I got to the point of going to see a chiropracter to se what was going on. It felt like there was a tendon that crossed my spine and needed to be put back where it needed to be. My back has been very tight and tender for a long time.

Chiropracter saw me for 3 sessions and told me that there was no misallignment of my back and that he didnt feel further care would be benificial and that he couldnt help me. He told me to go to the doctor.

So i make an appointment to go see the doctor this was a month ago. The day before I go into the doctor, my knee was aching. The next day it is swollen up a balloon. I have never had anything like this before.

I went to my doctors appointment, just a random doctor, and she takes xrays of my knee and back. She says that these came back normal and that i should see my normal doc for a follow up. In the mean time to ice and elevate my knee. So a week later, i go to my doctor. He orders a bunch of rehmatology tests, crp, esr, lymes, rf, ccp, ana, and also another GC test. Also, a MRI was scheduled for my knee. I am already a known HLA B27 positive.

MRI of knee was negative. all the other tests were negative (crp and esr were slightly elevated). But i was positive for chylamidia. At this point I was excited to finally have a positive for something!!!

Doc puts me on 1g azithromycin and 7 days doxycycline. He says that I have reiters syndrome or reactive arthritis. its been 2 weeks now, and im not sure the antibiotics have worked at all. I still feel like i can feel the urethritis lingering around.

Back to my knee. My left knee has been swollen since that day 1 month now. I had the fluid drained off of it and steroid injected, and it swelled back up the next day. Since then my 3rd toe on the left foot has been swollen up and is very sensitive. Makes it almost unbearable to walk.

I try to keep stretching by legs as much as posible as they have become increasingly stiff, mostly the tendons behind my knee. I have my good days and bad days for sure. This is a very dehabiliitating disease as i am a very active person and i like to keep busy. I have never sat around on the couch as much as i have this past month.

I am trying to stay positive, but it is difficult. I have missed out on many activities that i enjoy doing already, and fear I will miss more throughout the winter. Its hard enough to even go to work.

And now, my other knee is starting to ache.

But that is my story.

It has been one month since my

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

I understand how frustrated it is being ill and getting no help. Am not a doctor but having gone through reactive arthritis myself,though shortly,I know it can be hurting.

Now,it is very hard to treat Reactive Arthritis- in fact any sort of Arthritis because health provider treat the signs nit the disease. That's why you find all sorts of tests being done to rule out/eliminate others. Lets break down my advice to points;

1. Arthritis means- inflammation of the joint. We have many types arthritis.

2. Reactive arthritis occurs when bacteria travels through your bloodstream.

3. Having turned positive for STI you should have been given medicine for that.

4. The joint fluid should have been drained and tested for gonoccol and TB.

5. NSAIDs drugs are very essential for treatment.

Hope I have helped.

Kenyan Guy.

• Posted

Hi i hope you see this... how has your recovery been? i just wonder after all the original STD tests that were negative and all the preventative antibiotics you took to cure any possible STD. Just wondering how you tested possitive for chlamydia 3 years later? Urine sample? So after negative tests and numerous antibiotics were you still contagious?
  • Posted

Hello, can anyone please tell me how to contact the moderator of this forum? I suffered (and no longer suffer) from excruciating reactive arthritis due to following the advice in a book I read by a woman that suffered with it to the point where she was in a wheelchair...and then she was able to find a drug free way to find a way out of it and now bikes and does karate with no pain. I followed her advice and now I am pain free too. I posted about it but my post was deleted. I'd like to share what worked for me but I'm not sure how to do this without being deleted. I can't see a link to communicate with the moderator. I just read the terms and conditions of this site and I'm guessing my post was removed because it was considered advertising. But when people mention brand medication names isn't that advertising for pharma too?  There is no benefit to me whatsoever of posting the name of the author and book - I really really just want to share what helped me. 

Moderator or ideas? 

Thank you,

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I am very glad to hear about your recovery. I believe I am using the same resource in my own attempts to get better without medication. I hope you the moderator can allow you to post your experience, as I believe I  and others would benefit from it.

Sincerely,

Thomas.

• Posted

Hello lindabee,

I would be very much interested in knowing what helped you.I'm sure most people on here would like to read about your success in giving them hope as well.I can't imagine it being a negative thing.That's what this forum is for,support and advice for each other.I've suffered with Reactive arthritis for a year and seven months and now on Methatrexate injections.I'm not good at giving myself shots at all.It's gotten to the point where the next step is a biologic drug,Humira infusions.My Re A reacted to C-Diff.

Thank you!

Angela

• Posted

Hi Lindabee. Perhaps since you can't post info about any book that may help people, perhaps we could know the woman's name so we can do our own research if need be. I'm in Australia and unfortunately can't tolerate the DMARDS due to drug sensitivities. I am now attempting to manage my condition with NSAIDS and natural approaches. Like the OP'er, my condition manifested in my knee and I have endured an exploratory arthroscopy and several drains amounting to almost a litre of fluid. I'm HLAB27 and developed ReA after two severe UTI's which left me feeling I had residual vague symptoms for several months before my knee ballooned one day without warning 11 months ago and some 3 months post UTI. Hopefully information can be shared for those of us new to this condition who are very drug sensitive smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.