Reactive arthritis: never ending!

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is the second time I've had ReA which started from strep throat infection. I was on antibiotics to treat throat, which it did. Was hospitalised for 5 days, struggled to walk as knees were stiff. The effected joints seems to change from day to day? One day my wrists were swollen and stiff, the next day they were fine but my ankles would then swell, does this happen to anyone else? I've been prescribed steroids which have seemed to calm everything down. I went back to work, but that evening my knees swelled up again and were stiff. This is after being on steroids for 3 weeks and resting for 2 weeks. It seems my body is still recovering I think. Any suggestions or similar experiences? Getting very frustrated as I am only 22 and need to be at work! Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes, i had the same but thankfully im in remission after 18 months. im an ancient 37, got my ReA from campylorbacter food poisoning back in march 2018.

ReA tended to pick some joints and cause issues for a week or two (to the point of needing a walking stick or being unable to open jars) , then moved to another area. the worst has to be the lower back as i couldnt even roll over in bed from the pain, but 12 hours later it had moved back to my hands and i was mobile again .

i found i had to keep moving to avoid ceasing up, but doing even the smallest amount too much (like moving heavy boxes) i would regret the next day.

i managed to avoid steroids and get by on Naproxen, a little cocodemol . i dont know if the symptoms had run their course or not but i started taking fish oil and vitamin d in jan 2019 and perty soon shook off the remaining joint pains.

• Posted

worth adding that wearing slippers and gloves at all times helped to keep my swelling down, think it was the warmth. slippers need to be natural fibres though, otherwise your feet will stink withing a week!

hang in there the mental side of ReA is the hardest to cope with

• Posted

ffs, heel of my feet now so painful i cannot walk for the first 2 hours each day, and palms hurt too much to use a walking stick and knees are stiff.

i should have held off the premature decleration of remission. this damn condition just keeps coming back at you.

• Posted

Hi,

i have been diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis after picking up Salmonella in Turkey 9 weeks ago. i have had excruciating pain in my ankles, knees, hips, wrists, back and neck. i have also tested positive for the BH27 gene which causes ank spondyltis of the spine. i have had 500mg of iv steroids 8 times now, and have been on 40mg of prednisolone for the last week and a half. I am struugling with sleeping and waking up due to pain, especially in my lower and upper back as i am a frequent mover in my sleep. i am wondering if you have any advice / remedies / anything that is helping you with general day to day duties and sleeping? so sorry you are suffering with this awful illness too.

Bryony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.