Reactive Arthritis patient since Oct. 2016

Posted , 2 users are following.

Heres my story and what I've learned,

I was diagnosed with ReA since October 2016.  ReA occurs when your body suffers an infection and redirects your immune system to attack joints. Personally, my infection was chlamydia.  Some other common ways to get ReA is infection to the bladder or intestines.  

I started feeling symptoms 1 week after being infected with chlamydia.  My first symptom was a skin rash.  The rash mainly occured on my elbows and knuckles.  The unbearable pain started 2 weeks after infection, in my neck and later spread to my jaw, shoulder, elbow, knee, lower back, ankle, toes, foot, and breastbone.  I suffered for 3 months and went through 8 different doctors before I was diagnosed with ReA.  I went to my family physician, 3 walk in clinics, chiropractors, physio therapist, and a hospital until I found my answer.  

I am very please with my phyisician, Dr. Diane Lacaille (Vancouver BC), giving me valuable information and medication. I have tried many different medications and the most effective I have found for myself are Methotrexate, Sulphasalazine, and Indomethacin.  In 2 months Methrotrexate has lowered my C Reactive Protein from 56% to 15%.  CRP is normally at a range of >1%, 1%-3% is high risk, 7% is significant active inflammation.  Some forums I have read on ReA, some patients blood tests showed up to 190% CRP. 

Now, I have been suffering from ReA for almost 9 months.  My condition has gotten better and I am optimistic.  Throughout those long months and countless tears, it is easy to get depressed and ask God "why me?", but sooner or later you'll have to get up and return to daily activities.  I feel it is VERY important to move and loosen up your joints.  Avoid staying in one position as it will stiffen your joints.  It may be painful and unrealistic in the beginning, but as soon as you can, get up and move. I soaked my feet in empsom salt which did give me a small amount of relief.  Stretching is also incredibly beneficial to arthritis patients.

MY MESSAGE TO ALL OF YOU SUFFERING FROM REACTIVE ARTHRITIS!!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

YOU WILL GET BETTER

DON'T GIVE UP

STAY OPTIMISTIC

BE PROACTIVE 

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS BUT THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thankful for your post. Do you know of any support groups on the Ct. shoreline?  Is it possible for us to have a phone conversation?  
  • Posted

thank you for positive words. they are hard  to come by on forums like this because most are extreme cases. my storys similar to yours and is finally easing up after nearly a year. im starting to realize depression from this might be more likely than i realized. youre very right about stretching, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.