Reactive Arthritis: What I’ve tried

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I was diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis about 2 weeks after contracting Strep throat. I'm currently about 5 weeks in.

The M.D. sent me home with advice to rest and take Ibuprofen, and that's it. I had already begun a course of antibiotics from a walk-in clinic Dr. I'd seen previously.

Being a Naturopathic Dr. myself, I couldn't allow myself to wallow in misery and do nothing to help myself. I hauled out my old textbooks to see what course of action might be advised.

I knew that certain foods increased inflammation and immune reactivity. I decided to start off with an old-school water fast to help calm down the inflammatory cytokine activity.

I'm used to intermittent fasting for about 19 hours per day, which helps increase one's tolerance. It also helps to eat ketogenically for a couple of days beforehand to get your body accustomed to burning your fat instead of glucose.

First attempt, I managed 52 hours. 12 hours after eating, the pain came roaring back. I next managed a 5 1/2 day fast with some electrolytes ( potassium, magnesium, and sea salt) in water. My body hit a wall at that point, so I broke the fast for 2 days. the pain increased again, so I did one final fast. The idea is to fast until 1-2 days after resolution of symptoms. I made it another 5 1/2 days. That seems to be the maximum my body can tolerate, and I was feeling very weak. The electrolytes were no longer helping. Time to stop. My pain was considerably better and stayed so this time as I carefully reintroduced foods.

I researched the Autoimmune Paleo diet (AIP) to come up with a plan. I wanted to avoid any foods which were known to increase inflammation.

I also saw a traditional Chinese (TCM) doc, who checked me over and declared that my case was no longer very severe, but that I needed to build up my strength ( Kidney Qi in TCM language). Not really a surprise, considering all the fasting. I had lost about 20 lbs in 2 weeks. It really helped the inflammation, but it comes at a cost.

I began eating the following foods: homemade bone broth with some organic bouillon mixed in for flavor. Well-cooked broccoli, kale, cauliflower, asparagus, steamed sweet potatoes, cinnamon, turmeric, coconut oil. Canned health food store wild salmon. Fresh juices from beets, ginger, lemon, grapefruit together, or cucumber lemon kale ginger sometimes.

Aroy-D coconut milk in tetrapaks mixed with chia seeds and frozen wild blueberries.

Symptoms really improved and stabilized. I also added some chicken liver paté to help rebuild Qi, and raw walnuts.

I also got 3 home visits from an RMT who does myofascial work. Helped a lot. On the last visit he used a Dolphin Neurostim on my back and neck acupuncture points. Amazing!

I now only take ibuprofen at bedtime. I can walk around my neighborhood and do errands. If I eat inflammatory foods, I feel it.

I still feel more fatigue than usual. I try to take it easy. But I'm functional again. I feel pretty confident that I'll have this resolved in a couple of months rather than years.

If you're out there and suffering, perhaps this will give you some ideas.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Any,

i have been diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis after picking up Salmonella in Turkey 9 weeks ago. i have had excruciating pain in my ankles, knees, hips, wrists, back and neck. i have also tested positive for the BH27 gene which causes ank spondyltis of the spine. i have had 500mg of iv steroids 8 times now, and have been on 40mg of prednisolone for the last week and a half. I am struugling with sleeping and waking up due to pain, especially in my lower and upper back as i am a frequent mover in my sleep. i am wondering if you have any advice / remedies / anything that is helping you with general day to day duties and sleeping? so sorry you are suffering with this awful illness too.

Bryony

• Posted

Hi Bryony,

Happy to offer more details, in hopes that something may help. I am back to my intermittent fasting regimen, as described above. I find that I personally do best when I open my eating window at 5 pm, and begin with a nutritious meal, rather than snacking before dinner. My eating window is between 2-5 hours, depending upon how much food my body seems to need.

In the mornings, I have my black coffee diluted half with water, along with one NAC pill (great for autoimmune conditions), and my usual serrapeptase. Black decaf, black or green tea, water, or carbonated water until 5pm.

During the day, I try to rest around 2pm and I do a progressive muscle relaxation in lieu of a nap, as I don't nap well. I have been using The Meditation Podcast's episode 14:Rejuvenating Sleep for this purpose daily for nearly 10 years now. It is so vital to me that when I changed phones and lost my old free copy, I gladly joined patreon for $2/month to get access to it again. I recharges me like a 1-hour nap so I can go get my kids from school and keep my temper much better until bedtime.

Melatonin works great for me, so I take 2 sprays of Genestra's spearmint flavor near bedtime. If I'm feeling wired, I do the Rejuvenating Sleep relaxation again and it always does the trick. I sleep on my side and use a body pillow to prevent low back pain. Back sleeping with a pillow under the knees may help, too.

I hope something in all this might help you. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.