Reactive Depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have or know anyone who has Reactive Depression? If you/they do, how were you/they diagnosed and how do you/they cope?

A CBT therapist I went to see thinks I may have Reactive Depression.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hello suemarine!  i just looked up reactive depression, i had never heard of it. i learned that it's a depression that just comes on after a stressful event. have you recently gone through an event or situation that has seriously affected your mood? i would think your therapist would know what happened in order to give you this diagnoses. i know there are a lot of different forms of deprression, but i think we'd all agree that they all hurt the same way, somehow. 

has your therapist suggested counseling, or even a medication to help you out? gosh, i hate suffering of any kind, even if its like my cookies are all gone, and i dont have a back up bag. (that was just an attempt of mine to come across as  being really cute) but its certainly no joke to expierience depression in any form.  i am glad you shared this with us. i wish i knew what to tell you to help you feel better and deal with this reactive depression. its likely that here, you will find someone who is going through something like this, and may be able to advise you. even if they're not going through it, i know that people here will come up with some ideas to help you out. i hope you can feel better soon. just hang in there for now. i will be following along, to learn more about this form of depression. thank you for telling us about it. best wishes to you girl! truly, laura

• Posted

Thanks laura08496

We've always got something going on in our family - health issues (from 1992 onwards, when my Dad had Hodgkins Disease. I was 10, my younger sister was 5 and my older sister was 14. I was going from primary school to high school and my older sister was having some exams). There's always something around the corner.

While my Dad has been waiting for a double heart bypass and heart valve replacement, he had a stroke last month and it really affected my mood. He had to have a Carotid Endarterectomy, to clean out his carotid artery because it was calcified.

I'm awaiting my next CBT appointment so hopefully I can learn to manage it, as it effects my life and work.

• Posted

sorry to hear about you're dad. but pleased to hear they got the carotid artery that was calcified in time before your dads condition worsened. my dad took a tumble about 2 weeks ago which required a hospital stay. now he in in a nursing home that will rehabilitate him to get back to normal. if he's capable of even being normal in the first place. i am suffering, and very upset because i dont want to lose him. i've never thought i'd ever feel this way for the man. he's coming home in a few days. and i hope he never falls down again. not that my dad's problem is  all that horrible. i am trying to put my feet into your shoes. of course what is going on with your dad is a scary thing. no wonder depression decided to come visit  you. even if you've had a lot of problems that always came around the corner, what your dad is going through is very serious. trust me. i am so stressed out about my dad. and cant imagine what stressors you are going through! i am so so happy that you have shared with us. i hope you feel better soon. good luck!
  • Posted

I suffer from reactive depression (aka situational depression). Mine started last year when my only brother died. I was in NZ and couldn't get back to UK for his funeral. Then in July I had blood clots on my lungs, followed by a big argument with my daughter, etc etc. after the argument my mood had a setback even though we are now best of friends....ie I REACTED to a stressful event/events. Have you had any experience of loss/stress at work/loneliness? Why not Google for yourself for Reactive or Situational depression.....you might be able to identify your cause. If not, why not ask your CBT therapist to explain? Good luck. We don't deserve this x
    • Posted

Thanks iris46

We've always got something going on in our family - health issues (from 1992 onwards, when my Dad had Hodgkins Disease. I was 10, my younger sister was 5 and my older sister was 14. I was going from primary school to high school and my older sister was having some exams). There's always something around the corner.

While my Dad has been waiting for a double heart bypass and heart valve replacement, he had a stroke last month and it really affected my mood. He had to have a Carotid Endarterectomy, to clean out his carotid artery because it was calcified.

I'm awaiting my next CBT appointment so hopefully I can learn to manage it, as it can effect work and my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.