Read that calcium supplements can cause utis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have a bad case of osteoporosis. Read over and over on web that calcium supplements along with vitamin D can cause utis. Trying to stay uti free. Anyone have any info on this!  Also was taking strontium supplement.  Now afraid to take anything. Don’t want to take Boniva or anything like that.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have never heard or read this.  Please private message me your source for this information.  I am always very careful when I read medical information and make sure it is based on some kind of research and not just getting passed around based on opinion.
    • Posted

Won’t let me pm u. Don’t know why. Just search on it.  It is all over the internet. Between the vaginal atrophy, worrying about getting another uti, osteoporosis, just diagnosed with a hand contracture disease, already suffering from depression and health anxiety I’m about to lose it
  • Posted

Fern, I can understand that you're worried.  But, consider this.  Do you want to break a bone because you have stopped taking supplements because of something you read on the web? Have you ever gotten a UTI personally because you were taking Vitamin D and calcium--or because you were taking strontium? If your doctor told you to take these supplements and you've not suffered from a UTI, then don't stop taking them.

Women try lots of things to be rid of UTI's.  There are several conditions that cause women to be predisposed to having them, including their physiology.  It's important to do what works for you--but it's also important to be reasonable in your decisions. Best of luck. xx    

• Posted

Hi Linda. I know what u are saying. All I do is “medical research”. It has made me crazy and between the Vaginal atrophy and everything else I’ve made myself nuts
    • Posted

Hi Fern, I actually found relief from vaginal atrophy using a probiotic that included cultures for vaginal and digestive health.  The last time I had a pelvic, the MD said my vagina looked good.  Mind you, I'm not having any sex, but the discharge, etc. have ceased..  If you like, private message me and I'll tell you the brand!  Just click o the envelope in back of your name with the arrow to my name. xx

• Posted

fern, what is the status of that Enterococcus infection you were worried about previously?  Did you cure it and with what antibiotic?

• Posted

Have had 3 urine lab cultures....the last one over week ago.  So far it is gone. Took macrobid
    • Posted

tell me about your life style - do you eat healthy and i like to know your urine ph- within one year what problems you had up to this point, infections etc.. anything just about anything - if probiotics work for some it does not mean it will work for everyone especially high strands- and so vitamins and especially if your hormones or estrogen level is erratic. what the urine lab cultures have indicated and how many times have you had UTI within 6- 1 year period
    • Posted

Don’t smoke or drink eat healthy. Probably 5 utis sine August. Last one in Nov.  taking two priobtics now both geared to vagina and urinary health. Don’t know urine ph. Had no utis before having hysto. Taking Premarin cream now
  • Posted

yes, and be careful from taking cranberry or anything acidic if your PH is acidic it will make thing worse than they are already are- - I'm not a doctor but a kick ass logical person . im curious to know  how many times have you had UTI and what have you taken so far  antibiotics wise- and are you male or female or other... and what test have you done or what the results were - i like to know your hormones too if your estrogen is high. how to get access or read your pm. we can communicate here- i could not get your message through pm

• Posted

Female had hysterectomy 6 months ago. Been on all the drugs last one was macrobid.  Have vaginal atrophy so I am now on Premarin vagunally,  had multiple utis after hysterectomy.  All utis were tested on lab

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.